Hot Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

I don't see any receptacle requirements for outdoor installations per Section 680.42. Yet, I was told by a chief electrical inspector that 680.43(A) will apply?? I tend to disagree. We also can't apply 680.22, because it doesn't fall under the provisions of Part 1 and 4 of article 680. Any input would be appreciated?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see any receptacle requirements for outdoor installations per Section 680.42. Yet, I was told by a chief electrical inspector that 680.43(A) will apply?? I tend to disagree. We also can't apply 680.22, because it doesn't fall under the provisions of Part 1 and 4 of article 680. Any input would be appreciated?

Here is how I see it-- the inspector is correct but gave you an incorrect reference.

680.42 Outdoor Installations.
A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.

If this is a dwelling unit then Part II states

680.22(3) Dwelling Unit(s). Where a permanently installed pool is installed at a dwelling unit(s), no fewer than one 125-volt, 15- or 20-ampere receptacle on a general-purpose branch circuit shall be located not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) from, and not more than 6.0 m (20 ft) from, the inside wall of the pool. This receptacle shall be located not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 6 in.) above the floor, platform, or grade level serving the pool.

480sparky

I believe the correct term for your "hot tubs" is actually portable spas, that said, portable wins! :)

680.2: Definitions
Self-Contained Spa or Hot Tub. Factory-fabricated unit consisting of a spa or hot tub vessel with all water-circulating, heating, and control equipment integral to the unit. Equipment can include pumps, air blowers, heaters, lights, controls, sanitizer generators, and so forth.
Spa or Hot Tub. A hydromassage pool, or tub for recreational or therapeutic use, not located in health care facilities, designed for immersion of users, and usually having a filter, heater, and motor-driven blower. It may be installed indoors or outdoors, on the ground or supporting structure, or in the ground or supporting structure. Generally, a spa or hot tub is not designed or intended to have its contents drained or discharged after each use.

raider1

Staff member
Then the question would be...is a hot tub a permanently installed pool?

What does that matter?

680.42 requires spas and hot tubs installed outdoors to comply with Parts I and II of Article 680. There is no mention of permanent or portable.

Chris

resistance

Here is how I see it-- the inspector is correct but gave you an incorrect reference.

If this is a dwelling unit then Part II states

That shows my laziness. After speaking with a Chief electrical inspector for over 8 minutes. I was so tuned-in to his thoughts on the article, I totally over looked what I know exist.

I'm on board with Dennis!

PS: Dennis,
Thanks for training my wife. She seen your very large bold print from two rooms away:D Can it get any larger!!! :cool::smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.