Running 1/2" pvc pipe on a chain link fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Is this code compliant?

It could be depending on how you do it.

Are you remembering that Table 352.30 requires 1/2" PVC conduit to be supported every 3'?

I have run conduits on fences a number of times but I have always used steel conduit, either EMT or RMC. Trying to comply with the 3' support requirements and expansion / contraction issues of PVC makes it to much of a pain to me.

jdsmith

I would suggest RMC so you can support the conduit off of each vertical fence post. Attach a piece of strut vertically to each vertical fence post for mounting. We have this in a number of places, plus if you're smart you'll install long enough strut to leave space for the next conduit you'll run in a couple years.

peter d

Actually what happened is the stainless ty-raps do not tighten as well as the nylon ones do for some reason, so yeah, they pipe ended up getting left nice and loose. :D

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I agree PVC is not the best choice for this BUT you could drop a short piece of strut hanging from the horizontal rail of the fence ( if it has one ) and use 703 straps to connect it together the problem with hanging it from the chain link is it becomes a question of what is getting supported by what ( is the fence supporting the conduit or is the conduit supporting the fence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.