Saturdays Picture/Switched Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Found this today doing a demo at a school. Could you list the violations please.

SwitchedNeutral.jpg

480sparky

400.8(1).

404.9(B)

Where does the other end of the lamp cord go?

And that green drill in the background.

Last edited:

ericsherman37

Devices and metal box not grounded..
Lamp cord used as permanent wiring method..
Is the terminal screw on the near switch rated to have two wires landed on it?

And maybe a 314.21 violation for good measure?

ericsherman37

What I see is that someone originally installed a single gang mud ring with one switch in it - just a two-wire break (red and brown). Eventually someone came along and wanted a second switch, for some new light or whatever, so they hacked apart the sheetrock and got a 2-gang mud ring in.

For their wiring method they used lamp cord. So if the red wire is unswitched power then they tapped straight off of it and it goes somewhere else - not to the other switch. I'm confused :(

EDIT: Oh. I just read the topic - "SWITCHED NEUTRAL." Duh. No wonder it's so confusing to me, that's a stupid way to wire something :D

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
What I see is that someone originally installed a single gang mud ring with one switch in it - just a two-wire break (red and brown). Eventually someone came along and wanted a second switch, for some new light or whatever, so they hacked apart the sheetrock and got a 2-gang mud ring in.

For their wiring method they used lamp cord. So if the red wire is unswitched power then they tapped straight off of it and it goes somewhere else - not to the other switch. I'm confused :(

EDIT: Oh. I just read the topic - "SWITCHED NEUTRAL." Duh. No wonder it's so confusing to me, that's a stupid way to wire something :D

Yes, using the box and EMT as the grounded conductor and switching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.