3000amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Not enough information. Much depends on the nature of the routing between the transformer and the panel (e.g., underground versus above ground versus free air).

Six sets of 2000 MCM Al might do the trick, but might not be the most practical option. :roll: Bus ducting might be an option also. But aluminum is an allowable conductor material.

Welcome to the forum. But please give us a bit more to work with.

dcspector

Can I use aluminum and if so what size for 3000amp parrallel feeder from trans to mdp

In laymen terms yes you can use Al AA-8000 and find out what kcmil you want to use with conduit size and divide the ampacity of the conductor you choose into 3000 and that will let you know how many sets you need. Hope that was simple enough.

iwire

Staff member
Can I use aluminum and if so what size for 3000amp parallel feeder from trans to mdp

25 sets of 1/0 through 6 sets of 2000 kcmil, only you will know what you want to work with.

Realistically I would think 8 sets of 750 would make good sense unless you have some odd ambient temperatures or a major portion of the load is non-linear

HCC

yes you can, need more info
Tony Humbert

**Contact Info deleted. Please contact this person via PM**

benaround

I'm finding it a little unsettling that work like this is being solved in a public Forum. How

can you be smart enough to calculate, for example, this 3000a service yet not know how

to size the pipe and wire?

Mase, I'm not directing this at you totally, it took this thread for me to start ranting.

nakulak

I'm finding it a little unsettling that work like this is being solved in a public Forum. How

can you be smart enough to calculate, for example, this 3000a service yet not know how

to size the pipe and wire?

Mase, I'm not directing this at you totally, it took this thread for me to start ranting.

his profile says he's an estimator, why would you think he calculated the service size ? Seems to me its more likely that he is estimating off a set of plans and asked a legitimate question imho.

al may be subject to approval by poco and/or bldg owner. also, number of sets may be subject to poco approval (if they own the tranny) due to space limitation (which may also apply to your gear). if the plans showed the service, don't they show the number of sets and raceway as well ? (maybe you are missing some pertinent info)

Status
Not open for further replies.