Dear Klein Tools...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibew441dc

The company I work for requires a safety harness to be worn while in a scissor lift. Doesn't the Suspenda-vest interfere with the harness?

I guess it depends on the harness......I'm sure some are good, while others like a full harness may not be so good.

cadpoint

Originally Posted by cadpoint
At least there's not a fuse puller in the pouch!:

http://www.toolbelts.com/borealis-360.php

I'll bet there's one in the bottom of these bags:grin: They look well built.........but they are HUGE!!!!:grin:

If this is a starter tool bag, than they won't get in trouble with any one of these tools in thier hand as presented in orginal OP. :)

Point being that another manufacturer sells a bag of tools that does includes a fuse puller.
I don't think that having that one tool in a starter set is a wise move, either!

A correct practice is to not apply any tool incorrectly! While that is the correct tool for that job, that perticular application is not something applied as passively as appling any other tool that's in that tool bag!

I don't have a fuse pulled one, and while not in that line of work, I can't even rememeber requiring one either, lately! :roll:

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
maybe it is another of my "old age" things, but during the years when my job included supervision, 90% of the time, my guys better have some type tool pouch ON.
If you happen to be at a "sit down" job (control panel, etc) or crawling in a particulary tight spot were valid exceptions. But for most of our jobs you needed enough basics that a tool pouch was not optional. Having to climb up or down to get a tool or borrowing a basic tool from a co-worker raised my b/p 100 points.

it just depends how much got done at the end of the day, from my point of
view.... i've seen guys with enough tools to sink a 10 meter zodiac boat
hanging off them, and there's a tremendous flurry around them, and squat
doesn't get done.

old age, treachery, and experience are worth a lot. any tool i'm carrying on
me that i don't use isn't helping. i've ran across some really old guys who
didn't carry much, didn't seem to do much, and got 25% more done by
the end of the day than i did.

look at someone whose work you know is excellent, and he's quiet, attentive,
and doesn't waste a move. he's not following one set path. the work, and his
thoughts are both changing, affecting each other, until he is satisfied, at
the same instant the work is done. it's like meditation. and the day flies by.

if i have to wear a tool belt to impress you, just spin me now, and save us
both the pain..... :D

dreamsville

I use one of these I can't wear a tool belt due to nerve damage in my legs.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide15-01.html

I agree with bama master. I've had back operations and prefer a bag that can stand on it's own. Here's my Ideal bag. Same as the one in the link above. :D

MyPouch003.jpg

General Lighting

A better mouse trap.

A better mouse trap.

Personally I feel the more equipment I can carry, the more efficient i can be on the job. The Klein Tool bag is not big enough, that's why i use the CLC electricians belt + suspenders.

TradePro

Klein Tools

Klein Tools

I started in the trade in 1983 and progressed from laborer up to company owner. Along the way I have tried and used every sort of pouch, bag, box, bucket, I came across. What I have observed over the last 25 years or so is that you can tell a lot about a man by his tools. The newbie usually had the minimum pliers and screwdriver as skills and experience grew so did the tool collection until around the forth year or so when guys were carrying a pouch on each side with a total of 60 #'s of "stuff" and by "stuff" I mean the entire set of nutdrivers and two adjustable wrences etc. The interesting thing is that sometime around year 7 or 8 guys (at least the good ones in my opinion) started cutting back and around year 10 they were back to the basics. I have found that I can do 90+ percent of everything I need to with a screwdriver, 420 channellocks and a set of Klein side-cutters. I'm not sure if it's 'cause I do less or if it's because I'm better at using what I have to get the job done.

76nemo

You guys are all complaining on wearing belts across your hips. I have a tool pouch, but I carry it strapped over my shoulder and can strap it on top of a ladder. It's one thing to wear a nail pouch with nuts, redheads, connectors, etc., but that's no wear on the backbone. Do you really need a fully loaded belt strapped at your waist for the entire day????????

TOOL_5150

I have a similar pouch though it's not made by Klein. It's very handy for holding the basic and most frequently used tools.

You can see it in the bottom right hand corner of my tool mess....err...I mean collection. ;)

DSC00566.jpg

Every time i see that pic i laugh. It looks like you threw your bag across the room in a fit of rage, and it hit a wall and all falls to a pile. :D

~Matt

e57

Not too much of a fan of BAGS and belts - sciatica has the best of me.... I'm sure there also a few of those out there....

IMO there are too many people busting themselves up carrying WAY too many tools for the tasks of the day. I have a few dopes under me with bags that seem 5' wide and wiegh 50 pounds... Sure they feel macho now but they won't when they're 40!

I'm also just barley old enough to remember that an electricians pouch is what you see in the OP, and except for the heavy tools you walked in with in your tool box that got laid on the floor where you work is all that you needed, apart from that - a nail apron with staples and wire-nuts....

As for tools for the day - most often for me it's my laptop to pound out RFI's, cans of inverted spray paint, markers, a tape measure, lasers, a pair of Knipex linemans, and a beater flat-head. Most of my day is pointing at work for other people to do......

When I do get down and dirty I have several vests and tool boxes - all task specific. Two of the vests are Skillers, and one is one I made MYSELF that I use on rare occasion still in rough wood framing - I have been a tool vest guy for a long time. My first was one issued to me in the Marines - it was a shell that fit over a flack jacket with a few slots for tools and a couple of pockets that coud also be used for grenades..... ;) I lost it when it was stolen, and I later made my own. It got re-worked a few times then I re-hashed one out of a hunting vest. Then I found the Skillers ones, and now have a few of those - I like them, and I like their velcro-on tool pouches.

I wouldn't mind checking out the Occidental vest either - looks a little too over built though.

nakulak

Not too much of a fan of BAGS and belts - sciatica has the best of me.... I'm sure there also a few of those out there....

IMO there are too many people busting themselves up carrying WAY too many tools for the tasks of the day. I have a few dopes under me with bags that seem 5' wide and wiegh 50 pounds... Sure they feel macho now but they won't when they're 40!

I'm also just barley old enough to remember that an electricians pouch is what you see in the OP, and except for the heavy tools you walked in with in your tool box that got laid on the floor where you work is all that you needed, apart from that - a nail apron with staples and wire-nuts....

As for tools for the day - most often for me it's my laptop to pound out RFI's, cans of inverted spray paint, markers, a tape measure, lasers, a pair of Knipex linemans, and a beater flat-head. Most of my day is pointing at work for other people to do......

When I do get down and dirty I have several vests and tool boxes - all task specific. Two of the vests are Skillers, and one is one I made MYSELF that I use on rare occasion still in rough wood framing - I have been a tool vest guy for a long time. My first was one issued to me in the Marines - it was a shell that fit over a flack jacket with a few slots for tools and a couple of pockets that coud also be used for grenades..... ;) I lost it when it was stolen, and I later made my own. It got re-worked a few times then I re-hashed one out of a hunting vest. Then I found the Skillers ones, and now have a few of those - I like them, and I like their velcro-on tool pouches.

I wouldn't mind checking out the Occidental vest either - looks a little too over built though.

there are a lot of days when I wish I had a grenade or two in my tool bag

I know that tool belts are a part of our industry.
With what I have experienced (wore a tool belt for too long, I thought I was cool), I would never, never, did I say never, wear or ask anyone to wear a tool belt again. It is not good for anyone. There may be a few individuals who have worn a belt without adverse affects, but that is rare.

I recommend a tool box or organizer of some kind, preferably one that can be closed, as open tool boxes invite others to take your tools.

More productivety is lost due to sore/bad backs and legs, especially as one gets older. The aches and pains definitely slow one down whether we like to believe it or not.
Then the financial cost of bad backs is extremely high. What about enjoying one's retirement? That is tough when one is always suffering fromm the pain that has been caused by the belt.

I am not saying I know what the answer is, just that belts are not the answer.

Okie Sparky

Pierre, I agree with your thoughts, I too wore a tool belt loaded with tools too long. The first boss (tyrant) I worked for demanded that all of his guys wore a tool belt. In fact, if I remember correctly, I think he said any helper or j'man he caught without one on would be fired. Don't think he ever fired someone for this but nobody that I know of broke the rule. I agree with TradePro that a fourth year apprentice or first or second year j'man has a miserably heavy tool pouch. I think your in the trying to attain mode, attaining by wearing. You'll kill your hips, at least I did. When I climb a ladder very much my hips hurt at the end of the day. Fortunately I have come to the point in my career that I don't have to carry tools much any more. But when I do I use a Klein black tool bucket and a small Occidental Leather hip pocket pouch. A friend of my has a hardware store in a small town a few miles away and sales their products, they are top quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.