Existing J-boxes not supported

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcspector

I don't think "dcinspector" has clarified what the situation is.

I believe he writes the citation NAMING THE OWNER, not naming us EC's (he just gives it to us).

I believe that our permited work passes. We get paid. End of that story.

He does ask us to be the bearer of bad news (and get beheaded) by delivering these citations to the owner. I believe I could refuse him and tell him to mail them to the owner himself (like I believe he should....it would be more professional).

this is my take on what he is (was) trying to convey to us. I could be totally wrong

"I would like to reel this back in"

Mike that about sums it up. There are two reports written one for the NEW Work and one for the EXISTING work. I post it on the job or hand it to the Electrician on the job and his company name is not on the existing violation report only the address, my name and # and the violation and 99% of the time the owner contracts the Electrician on the job that performed the new work to repair the existing......Hey all times are tough and you get paid to repair the work...what is the issue? Now is that more of a "properly written post" ?

peter d

I post it on the job or hand it to the Electrician on the job and his company name is not on the existing violation report only the address, my name and # and the violation and 99% of the time the owner contracts the Electrician on the job that performed the new work to repair the existing......

So the EC is still the messenger for you?

I can't speak for others, but I'm 99% sure this is the issue they have with what you are telling us.

dcspector

So the EC is still the messenger for you?

I can't speak for others, but I'm 99% sure this is the issue they have with what you are telling us.

Peter and others who gives a damn who delivers ( no one had to drive anywhere for a special delivery) if your name ain't on it let it frigin rest and get paid extra to repair unless all of you out there are too busy to take on extra work...... I leave the existing violation(s) on the job posted wherever the permits are posted, window, wall, ceiling, floor and give the electrician on the job a copy..........THE KEY IS THAT THE EXISTING VIOLATIONS ARE LISTED AND POSTED ON THE JOB AND THE ELECTRICIAN ON THE JOB IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS UNTILL THE GC OR BUILDING OWNER CONTACTS ME AND THEN CONTACTS THE ELECTRICIAN TO REPAIR AND THEN YOU GET SOME EXTRA MONEY TO REPAIR.........Yes I capped that because I was talking at a decible level more than normal.

M. D.

I would politely refuse this communication ... like you said who cares if you have to deliver it.

dcspector

I would politely refuse this communication ... like you said who cares if you have to deliver it.

That is fine as you have voiced your "repetitive" opinion in this thread several times. I respect that! "respect was the key word", now show me the same. We all have a job to do......:smile:

M. D.

That is fine as you have voiced your "repetitive" opinion in this thread several times. I respect that! "respect was the key word", now show me the same. We all have a job to do......:smile:

Not sure that I have been at all disrespectful,.And it seems the process by which you cite and how you deliver the citation has changed somewhat over the course of the thread... It has been confusing.

I leave the existing violation(s) on the job posted wherever the permits are posted, window, wall, ceiling, floor and give the electrician on the job a copy..........THE KEY IS THAT THE EXISTING VIOLATIONS ARE LISTED AND POSTED ON THE JOB AND THE ELECTRICIAN ON THE JOB IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS UNTILL THE GC OR BUILDING OWNER CONTACTS ME AND THEN CONTACTS THE ELECTRICIAN TO REPAIR AND THEN YOU GET SOME EXTRA MONEY TO REPAIR......

compared to this,..

....I will not pay you as a 'delivery boy"....take it up with others. You are missing the point! I cite you for existing violation and you take it to Building owner.

dcspector

I do agree.....sounds strange! Not the case at all. However, when I cite the existing the electrician takes it to the owner that I posted on the job. I did not ask them to do that it just happens that way because they want to be paid to do extra and normally they do and I will not change the way we are doing things here in DC......It ain't broke so we ain't gonna fix it.....I have made a lot of changes / improvements here in DC since I have become Chief EI...Not a power trip! Just trying to make changes that have been neglected over the years. BTW I have only been here about 4 years now. Walk a mile in my shoes and come to DC on inspections with me one time you will see my point. It is also easy to be brave on a key board instead of eye to eye on the job....Agreed or not? Would you argue with an Inspector on the job as you have done on the Forum? No probably not. What is that saying " arguing with an Inspector is like wrestling a pig in the mud the more you do it the more he likes it"........or something like that.....At least I have City hall to back me up!!!! And they will. Take this post for whatever or however you want.

Last edited:

M. D.

I do agree.....sounds strange! Not the case at all. However, when I cite the existing the electrician takes it to the owner that I posted on the job. I did not ask them to do that it just happens that way because they want to be paid to do extra and normally they do and I will not change the way we are doing things here in DC......It ain't broke so we ain't gonna fix it.....I have made a lot of changes / improvements here in DC since I have become Chief EI...Not a power trip! Just trying to make changes that have been neglected over the years. BTW I have only been here about 4 years now. Walk a mile in my shoes and come to DC on inspections with me one time you will see my point. It is also easy to be brave on a key board instead of eye to eye on the job....Agreed. Would you argue with an Inspector on the job as you have done on the Forum? No probably not. What is that saying " arguing with an Inspector is like wrestling a pig in the mud the more you do it the more he likes it"........or something like that.....At least I have City hall to back me up!!!! And they will. Take this post for whatever or however you want.

Greg , If I were you ,.. I'd find out the process that the building code prescribes and I'd follow it ,.. it won't ever be a problem until there is a problem. It's been fun ... I'm done:)

dcspector

Greg , If I were you ,.. I'd find out the process that the building code prescribes and I'd follow it ,.. it won't ever be a problem until there is a problem. It's been fun ... I'm done:)

I too enjoyed it M.D. see ya on the next one. I am done as well enjoy the remainder of our weekend.

hurk27

I think this thread is a good example of the deficiency's of many enforcement agency's across the nation, not just in DC but in every area, with the work loads at many times being high, it is just enough to keep up with the immediate codes such as the NEC, IBC and such that the state and local laws and rules of enforcement are only reference into knowledge after they are challenged, which usually are left up to the city attorney to be interpreted at the time the problem is brought into court which is too late. but it is very rare since no one wants to hold up a job to do this. so it is a lesson that is rarely learned

I can't always fault an inspector for not always knowing all these little laws and rules in local law, but when confronted with this in a real life situation, it would be expected of him/her to at least follow up with the city attorney to find out what is the truth in the matter is and to know where they stand legally.
As being a inspector is a law enforcement position, there are laws and rules that they must follow just like other law enforcement agency's, this in it self brings a whole new set of laws into the picture that many inspectors don't even think about until its too late when they are brought to court.

This is all part of the job of learning the scope of one's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.