Federal Pacific conversion/retrofit kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Im not sure if Im posting this in the right section or not but I was hoping someone here could save my butt here! I have a customer that has a Federal Pacific 200A 1P 3W 120/240 panel in their house. As everyone knows the breakers in these panels fail miserably. Well, he has another burned up breaker. He needs to order another 2 pole 70A. They told him at the supply house that it was 180 bucks for that breaker, up 40 bucks from when he replaced it 3 years ago. I suggested replacing the entire panel. I guess he is not prepared to pay the amount of money to replace the whole panel. After a little online research, I noticed some people mentioned a "conversion kit" for FPE panels to be retrofitted with the guts from some other manufacturer such as square d or cutler hammer. If I could leave the existing "can" and I was just to replace the guts, it would probably cost the cost of replacing the panel in half, at least for the labor. Can anyone advise me on if they have heard of these conversion kits and if so, tell me where to go/call/email to obtain one!!

220/221

If I could leave the existing "can" and I was just to replace the guts, it would probably cost the cost of replacing the panel in half

No way. You can save a little time and patchwork (if the panel is recessed) but it's no where near half the time much less half the cost.

I will swap out guts it the covers are an exact match and/or if there is a bunch of conduit coming in the top and bottom.

Replacing a resi panel is a breeze. In the time you would spend looking for some kind of retrofit kit, you could easily remove and replace the panel.

I guess he is not prepared to pay the amount of money to replace the whole panel.

Tell him to get prepared. The cost involved isn't the materials so much as the labor and you aren't going to save more than an hour if you could change the guts.

Last edited:

chris1971

FPE Panels

FPE Panels

I have my customers google FPE panels and I sell them on a complete replacement of the panel. I tried a couple of supply houses and they had a dificult time finding the replacement guts.

Len

FP Breakers

FP Breakers

Just so you are aware, any breaker you buy for FP is not UL approved. You need to change panel. Retrofits are very expensive. Cheaper to replace entire panel. I just finished changing out 150 of them.

danickstr

FPE breakers are no longer UL approved? Can someone please expand on this? I have a FPE panel job remodel that may need to be a replace if this is the case.

Len

FP

FP

You must change entire panel. Their is no retrofit kits for resi. panels. Also it is must less expensive to replace then retrofit if you have ever priced out retorfit kits.
Any breakers you find are not UL liste, any new breakers are from out of US and not tested by UL. Save them and your license just replace.

Riograndeelectric

You must change entire panel. Their is no retrofit kits for resi. panels.

Cutler Hammer doe smake retor fit kits for residentail. I spoke with Cutler hammer last week regarding a retro fit kit ofr a residential panle.

Also it is must less expensive to replace then retrofit if you have ever priced out retorfit kits.

agrred the price of a retro fit panle is expensive but sometimes it can save a lot on labor.
Any breakers you find are not UL liste, any new breakers are from out of US and not tested by UL. Save them and your license just replace.

I have a supplier that seels new FPE breakers made by Universal breakers and was told they are UL listed for fpe panles.

do you have some thing from UL that says the replacement breakers are not ul listed?

220/221

This a stupid idea.

You will not save a dime in this installation.

It's romex and drywall. Simply change the panel.

If you have a ton of conduit coming in the top bottom and sides....maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.