Few nice violation pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Using this service to run pool feeder.

I had a side-view pic of this in this thread. Someone pointed out the clearance violation; I said it wasn't in the way, and it was just the angle of the pic. Guess I wasn't really paying attention.

800991da7bf8.jpg

Opened it up and found this; LFNMC running to an irrigation control. Notice the color of the jacket; its a new install.
5fc68341c398.jpg

That cable is then fed by this circuit breaker.

fce8dd8d7b32.jpg

On this next job, the pool contractor called and said the homeowner had their own electrician come install the equipment; however, he asked me to go look at it to make sure it was correct.

First thing I see walking up is this; it contains the pool feeder, and goes underground to the service about 30' away.

6d27bacde3e5.jpg

Then I open the cover and find this. (2008 NEC applies) Also, this panel is listed only for siemens/murray circuit breakers.

3c0f43b91837.jpg

I snapped a couple of other pics that apparently didn't save in my phone. The pool feeder was 10-3NM running underground to the service.

Here are a couple of more though;

The pumps were wired for 240v; here are the conductors. Those spade terminals are 14-16.

ccbe54c4d06c.jpg

This automation panel has two transformers that can be wired for 240/120.

What you see in the pic below is their attempt to connect them @ 240v; you can see some of the label in the background explaining the connections. The problem is that the brown wire is from one transformer, and the blue is from another, and this electrician wired them in series with each other. When I checked the service disconnect, the circuit breaker feeding this panel was tripped.

9ed677939808.jpg

KevinVost

Looks like your going to get an extra on this job, though I'm not sure how your gonna move the transformer from in front of the panel :D.

Pic 1 - Working clearance - 110.26 A1
Pic 2 - NM cable (14 AWG) installed in wet location - 334.12
Pic 3 - Breaker to large for conductor - 240.4 D
Pic 4 - Unlisted fitting - 110.3 B
Pic 5 - Unlisted handle ties - 110.3 B
Pic 6 - Poor choice of colors for ungrounded conductors - 200.6
Pic 7 - Original electrician couldn't read - 100-Qualified Person

Sections taken from 2005 (My '08 is at work)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
This is a perfect example of "the cheapest person spends the most.":roll:

The homeowners would of been waaayyyy ahead to just hire you in the first place, it doesn't look like there's one part of that installation you don't have to fix. Truly sad, especially if that guy really was a licensed electrician.:mad:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The 14 Ga. cable might be OK on the 20A breaker if it feeds a pump motor.

That's a good thing - I can tell from that shack in the background that this homeowner can't afford to replace it with 12 Ga. :rolleyes:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The 14 Ga. cable might be OK on the 20A breaker if it feeds a pump motor.

Its feeding the irrigation control timer. Not a chance it will overload, but its still a violation. The pump is 5hp and on another circuit. This was installed by Rainbird; a few things on this house were done by the manufacturer's themselves. SquareD installed all of the lighting controls (clipsal, w/ the $10k touchscreens).

Cow said:
The homeowners would of been waaayyyy ahead to just hire you in the first place

The cost of their pool included the cost of my services; so they just paid twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.