Kitchen waste disposers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jflynn

I have been looking in other threads on the forum for answers to my question-I have come close to finding what I believe is correct,heres the issue:
The local wiring inspector is telling us we need to install a cord/plug and receptacle for the waste disposers on a 31 tenant residential apartment complex(we hard wired them).He says the cord-and plug is the disc.means.
We have a dedicated BC with a counter top switch-which indicates on/off positions.Both the switch and the breaker are within sight of the controller.The way we read 422-16 (B) is the diposer SHALL be permitted to be cord-and-plug connected,meaning it does not have to be?The plumbers supplied the disposers(3/4 hp)-so if cord is required we will have them get them,we do not do a lot of resi-work-just trying to educate ourselves-any thoughts?thanks

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Most of our new installations we use cord and receptacle. It is not required in our jurisdiction.
What I have seen in the past is Romex hardwired to the disposer.

KevinVost

422.16 does not apply to the situation you have. That section refers to the "frequent interchage" of the equipment.

Look at 422.31 (A) or (B), depending on the size of the disposal. I would guess that 422.31 (B) is the section you are looking for and IF the switch or circuit breaker are within site of the equipment, you have met the requirement. As a side, if the unit did not come with a cord, or does not give manufacture's recomendation on how and what size cord to install, it could be shot down for listings. (If the inspector wants to be picky:D).
(Codes taken from the 2005 NEC)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
422.16 does not apply to the situation you have. That section refers to the "frequent interchage" of the equipment.

Look at 422.31 (A) or (B), depending on the size of the disposal. I would guess that 422.31 (B) is the section you are looking for and IF the switch or circuit breaker are within site of the equipment, you have met the requirement. As a side, if the unit did not come with a cord, or does not give manufacture's recomendation on how and what size cord to install, it could be shot down for listings. (If the inspector wants to be picky:D).
(Codes taken from the 2005 NEC)

Kevin has it perfect. 422.31 clearly allows the switch to be the disconnectings within sight. (also not within site if lockable)

jflynn

good call-

Look at 422.31 (A) or (B), depending on the size of the disposal.
It is- 3/4hp

As a side, if the unit did not come with a cord, or does not give manufacture's recomendation on how and what size cord to install, it could be shot down for listings. (If the inspector wants to be picky:D).

The unit does not come with a cord,manufacutures recommendation says a wall switch is required-but it also references a cord being used-but not required.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
As a side, if the unit did not come with a cord, or does not give manufacture's recomendation on how and what size cord to install, it could be shot down for listings. (If the inspector wants to be picky:D).

The unit does not come with a cord,manufacutures recommendation says a wall switch is required-but it also references a cord being used-but not required.

The inspector wouldn't be picky... just right.

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the
connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange
or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or
(2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that
are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal
for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended

or identified for flexible cord connection.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So if the switch is at the counter top how is it within sight of the disposal. We do it like that also but I have always wondered why that is allowed. I may have to change my evil ways.

I can just see someone working on the disposal under the sink and the HO goes to flip on an extra light but oops--- wrong switch.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
So if the switch is at the counter top how is it within sight of the disposal. We do it like that also but I have always wondered why that is allowed. I may have to change my evil ways.

I can just see someone working on the disposal under the sink and the HO goes to flip on an extra light but oops--- wrong switch.

Well you can see the disposal in the sink from the switch...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I've always interpreted it as the switch being in-sight and the disconnect; meaning romex is just fine. I've had a few inspectors try to red tag me on this. One even told me it was required because the SP switch was "not a motor-rated switch". :roll: Oh how upset he got when I questioned the difference having a receptacle between them made.

benaround

The inspector wouldn't be picky... just right.

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the
connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange
or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or
(2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that
are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal
for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended

or identified for flexible cord connection.

That does not say that a cord cap and recpt. must be used for the disconnect.

vinster888

the cord and cap are used to make removing the unit for service easier? since when was anything in the code made easier? im for the cord and plug myself. laying in cabinets is for little people, not 6'2 200lb dudes like me.

jflynn

So if the switch is at the counter top how is it within sight of the disposal. [
I]ok-I/ll give you that-how about the breaker,if we installed a brk lock-allowing it to be locked out in the open position,would that be compliant?[/I]

We do it like that also but I have always wondered why that is allowed.
Allowed?what do you mean allowed?

I see your point ....

Status
Not open for further replies.