article 517,patient care areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nspctr

My question is simple. Does an Eye doctors office, in areas were eye exams are being performed,fall under this article when discussing what type of wiring method can be used (ie;) mc-cable versus mc-hp type of cable.

iMuse97

What kind of eye professional is this? An Ophthamologist or an Optometrist? The Ophthamologist is an M.D. specializing in eyes, and an Optometrist is an eye doctor like your dentist is a tooth doctor.

This could make a difference. I've done many dental offices and treatment rooms in EMT and have provided no special wiring except EGCs and GFCIs.

KevinVost

What kind of eye professional is this? An Ophthamologist or an Optometrist? The Ophthamologist is an M.D. specializing in eyes, and an Optometrist is an eye doctor like your dentist is a tooth doctor.

This could make a difference. I've done many dental offices and treatment rooms in EMT and have provided no special wiring except EGCs and GFCIs.

EMT with an EGC would be fine in a patient care area, see 517.13 A and B. In the definitions for patient care are is the wording that will give you what areas require HCF cable or compliance with 517. IMO (and hopefully a few other opinions:D), any doctor performing any examination or care (as defined by the code) would require compliance with Article 517.

KevinVost

The patient is not connected to elecrtomedical devices, IMO, Not a Patient Care Area.

Take a look at the definitions in 517, (copied from 2005)

Patient Care Area. Any portion of a health care facility
wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated.
Areas
of a health care facility in which patient care is administered
are classified as general care areas or critical care areas. The
governing body of the facility designates these areas in accordance
with the type of patient care anticipated and with the
following definitions of the area classification.
FPN: Business offices, corridors, lounges, day rooms, dining
rooms, or similar areas typically are not classified as
patient care areas

Add that to:

517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electrical
Equipment in Patient Care Areas. Wiring in patient care
areas shall comply
with 517.13(A) and (B).

And the definition of health care facility:

Health Care Facilities. Buildings or portions of buildings
in which medical, dental, psychiatric, nursing, obstetrical,
or surgical care are provided. Health care facilities include,
but are not limited to, hospitals, nursing homes, limited
care facilities, clinics, medical and dental offices, and ambulatory
care centers, whether permanent or movable.

When taken as a whole I would say that anywhere a patient is treated or examined would require compliance with 517. (The blue highlighting is mine)

benaround

Kevin,

Do you have the 2005 NECH ? Right at the beginning of 517 Part II Wiring and Protection

there is a Formal Interpertation 99-1, I am mostly basing my opinion on that FI.

Also, without knowing the type of " eye doctor " the OP is refering to, it's really just a

guess. IMO.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Reference: Article 517
F.I. 99-1 (NFPA 70)
Question: Does Part II of Article 517 of the NEC apply to patient sleeping rooms of nursing homes or
limited care facilities where patient care activities do not involve the use of electrical or electronic life
support systems; or invasive procedures where patients are electrically connected to line connected
electromedical devices?
Answer: No.
Issue Edition: 1999
Reference: Article 517
Issue Date: August 1, 2000
Effective Date: August 21, 2000
According to the NPFA "Regulations Governing Committee Projects" this FI should no longer be valid, however it is still shown as an FI that applies to the 2008 code.
6.6 Action Following Issuance of Formal Interpretation. Any
TC whose Document has been the subject of a Formal Interpretation
shall prepare a committee proposal clarifying the text of
the Document involved. The TC shall process such a proposal
in conformance with procedures set forth in 4.3. After issuance
of the next edition of the document, the Interpretation shall be
retired.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Don:

Per the 517 definitions, a limited care facility is one that is used on a 24 hour basis for housing people who can't take care of themselves. So an eye clinic wouldn't be considered a limited care facility.

There was also a long discussion on a similar question just a couple of days ago:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=114246

Maybe this question should be added to the frequently asked questions?

Steve

lmchenry

This particular FI has little to do with the OP. It is helpful in other areas though. It seems to me that he would be required to have redundant grounding just as was said earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.