Romex run under eave

Status
Not open for further replies.

reactancexl

Is it allowed in the NEC to run lets say a 6-2 romex for AC under an eave(inside the facia) that is 15 feet above the ground and then thru attic or does it have to be in conduit for the eave portion? The 6-2 would be in conduit from panel to eave.

raider1

Staff member
The portion of the NM cable running from the panel to the eave in conduit would be a violation because the conduit would be in a wet location and NM cable can't be installed in a wet location.

If the NM cable was installed in the eave above the soffit/facia metal IMHO it would be no different than running the NM cable within the attic.

Chris

Last edited:
The portion of the NM cable running from the panel to the eave in conduit would be a violation because the conduit would be in a wet location and NM cable can't be installed in a wet location.

If the NM cable was installed in the eave above the soffit/facia metal IMHO it would be no differnet than running the NM cable within the attic.

Chris

If this is protected from weather by the eave/soffit, it is a damp location.

See location, damp, Article 100

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Inductor, welcome to the forum! :smile:

In case it wasn't clear, no portion of the run outdoors may be NM, whether in a conduit or not.

Added: If this run must be outdoors, I'd use PVC the entire way, and use W-rated wire (THWN).

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
If this is protected from weather by the eave/soffit, it is a damp location.

See location, damp, Article 100

Yes, I understand what a damp location is, but more than likely some if not most of the conduit from the panel to the eave would be in a wet location. My comment was in regards to the conduit from the panel to the eave.
The portion of the NM cable running from the panel to the eave in conduit would be a violation because the conduit would be in a wet location

By the way whether or not it is a damp location or wet location means nothing. NM cable can't be installed in either a damp or wet location.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
What is the difference between NM run above an eave or in an attic?

IMHO none.

I was just trying to point out that a conduit on the outside of a house run up to the eave would be a wet or damp location and installing NM cable in that conduit would be a violation.

Chris

hurk27

If the eve behind The fascia is a damp location, someone is going to have allot of rotted trusses, with normal properly installed surface material protecting it, I would have to say the protected area would have to be dry in the norm, or other building failures would happen. the code goes on what is normal if I remember right not what could happen? IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.