Seasonal Safty tip (Wasps and Hornets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

Its that time of year to be cautious when opening disconnects and light fixtures on the exterior of buildings, today I was up on a ladder working on a security light about 18' up, when I opened the fixture out flew some wasps..... I dropped my tools I was holding and shuffled down the ladder, luckily I got away before they got me, I went to the truck and got some wasp spray and shot it a couple times gave it a few minutes and went back to work. Just thought I would remind you guys to think about stuff like that when your up on a ladder or just opening anything that could be a critters home, keep safe!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
One time I was prepping to install a new 200 amp service on a pump station. I noted a entrance where I wanted to drill thru the wall, so I drilled a small hole and used a 4s cover to blank it off. I would pull the cover off and give it a shot of wasp spray. But during the day most of the wasps are outside. I finially took a CO2 bottle and shot some in the hole and that killed them. When I drilled the conduit hole I found out the wasp nest was in the next stud bay over!

masterinbama

Back when I was still

Back when I was still

climbing poles. If my task involved opening ballast enclosures I would take up a hand line and wasp spray. I would bring my tools up on the hand line after I killed all the pesky critters. Because as anyone who has ever hooked a pole will tell you, you have nowhere to go.

brian john

Wasps, yellow jackets LOVE generator housings.

Once was servicing a generator and stepped on a yellow jacket hive (in the ground) 7 bees up the pants I was adjacent to a horse farm, with lots of riders. They must have thought I was crazy stripping off my pants and dancing like a mad man.

JFletcher

I can't stand wasps and flying, stinging insects in general. Wasp spray, Deep Woods Off!, sunblock, and plenty of fluids. 95+* outside is no small safety matter either. Oh, TecNu in the truck as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.