Moving panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid123456

I hope I can explain this well. I'm moving a panel from a closet to outside (not many options in these Florida homes). Panel is in the closet and meter is 6 feet from panel. I'm gonna use the panel in the closet as a j box and put the panel outside. The service is now in a conduit, so I intend to use the raceway. My ? is can I use a full size neutral in the jbox and full size ground and just pull individual hot conductors thru the conduit to cut down on derating? Are there any issues with this? Thought I'd check with others.

M. D.

would they be in the same raceway as the ungrounded conductors? If yes then I think it would be compliant

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm moving a panel from a closet to outside.
Cant't just flip it to the other side of the wall?

My ? is can I use a full size neutral in the jbox and full size ground and just pull individual hot conductors thru the conduit to cut down on derating?
I would use a single GEC (or metal conduit), but not a single neutral. (Well, if you left the neutral bus, maybe.) However, I'd most likely just make as many 3-wire circuits as I could.

Even if you have to upsize the small wires, 6' lengths of #12, #10, and #8 (for 15a, 20a, and 30a circuits, respectively) isn't that much to extend.

vinster888

so if this was a 200a panel he would need 3/0 cu for that neutral and #4 cu or the gec? and then #12's and 10's and so on for the hots? doesnt sound too bad. i usually pull the runs up to a j box in the attic so they can fill the hole in the closet

Status
Not open for further replies.