Simple Attachment Plug Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harky

I got asked a question the other day that I couldn't answer with certainty. Can you use 4 wire SO cord for connecting a 120V attachment plug? What do you do with the extra wire or wires if there are more than 3wires in the cord? I looked in the NEC a little bit but didn't find an exact answer.

480sparky

Not sure if the NEC even addresses this issue.

Me, I would just cut the extra conductor off flush with the sheath at both ends and call it a day. That, or find some 3-conductor SO cord.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Ken,

The NEC does not prohibit the use of a cable or cord with more conductors than are required for the circuit.

I would just cut off the extra wire.

Chris

Harky

We had a bunch of 4-wire cord my guys wanted to use because it was leftover. But I told them to go buy some 3-wire just to be safe. No big deal.... I was just wondering if there was anything in the NEC that said you can't use a cord with more cables than you need or something to that extent. I know we pull extra wires and such for future expansion etc., but wasn't sure about a spare conductor(s) in SO cord when it comes to an attachment plug.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think the only issue would be if the cord grip on the plug is suitable for the OD of the 4 wire cable. As long as it is, I would just do as the others suggested...cut off the extra conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.