grounding jacuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy first time poster .I live in mass.I am installing a jacuzzi and all the plmbing is pex ,do I have to run my number 8 all the way to the basement

iwire

Staff member
No, you are not ever required to run the 8 AWG bonding conductor back to the panel.

But there a lot of other requirements, if the hot tub is outside you must treat it like a pool.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it a hydro-massage tub or a hot tub. To me a Jacuzzi is a hydro-massage tub used in a bathroom.

raider1

Staff member
Is it a hydro-massage tub or a hot tub. To me a Jacuzzi is a hydro-massage tub used in a bathroom.

I agree, when I hear the term "jacuzzi" I envision a hydro massage bathtub.

The answer really depends on what the OPer is calling a "jacuzzi".

Also on a side note I have heard there are hydromassage bathtubs that have manufactures installation instructions that state you must run a #8 from the tub motor bonding lug to a remote panel for grounding.:rolleyes:

Chris

Its a hydro massage tub in a bathroom ,I meant run it to the basement where I cold find copper pipes because of the pex in the bath

raider1

Staff member
Its a hydro massage tub in a bathroom ,I meant run it to the basement where I cold find copper pipes because of the pex in the bath

No you don't need to run the #8 bonding wire to another location to find metal water pipes.

680.74 requires you to bond all metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in direct contact with the circulating water to be bonded together with a #8 conductor.

In you situation with the plastic piping system you don't have a metal piping system so 680.74 doesn't require any bonding.

Here is what 680.74 (2008) says:

680.74 Bonding.
All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG. The bonding jumper shall be connected to the terminal on the circulating pump motor that is intended for this purpose. The bonding jumper shall not be required to be connected to a double insulated circulating pump motor. The 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding jumper shall be required for equipotential bonding in the area of the hydromassage bathtub and shall not be required to be extended or attached to any remote panelboard, service equipment, or any electrode.

Pay special attention to the part that I put in bold.

Chris

Sorry its a hydro massage tub ,force of habbit.Like I said the plumbers ran pex to the bath ,so the only actual copper piping is in the basement.Not to sure if I can run # 8 solid down two floors to the basement ,where i can get copper

Buck Parrish

Sorry its a hydro massage tub ,force of habbit.Like I said the plumbers ran pex to the bath ,so the only actual copper piping is in the basement.Not to sure if I can run # 8 solid down two floors to the basement ,where i can get copper

If the motor has a grd. lug on it. You ground it to the bath tub faucett (spicket) The small piece of metal right before it attaches to pex.

Ok thats what I thought but it didnt seem right to me so I rather double check with the pros(you guys)thank you all for your response

electricmanscott

You do not need to bond anything. Your piping system is plastic.

raider1

Staff member
It's part of the circulating system. Our AHJ's make us do it. Only if the motor has a grd lug on it.

No the small section of copper piping connected to the faucet is NOT a piping system, but an isolated section of conductive pipe. 680.74 only require metal piping systems to be bonded.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.