light whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As long as the sheath is recognized as an EGC in 250.118, see 517.13(B) Ex No 2.

Roger

hospitals

hospitals

if the whip i am using is aluminum and using ul listed connectors approved for grounding is it ok if so how do i prove it and how can i prove rwa flex conduit is not mc

cadpoint

I asked the inspector of the 6' whip rule, and here reassured me that it was for light whips only and not for the water heater that I tryed to apply it too! :roll:

IE: That straping was required unless it was a light whip!

Last edited:
the inspector wants to know if an aluminum whip is approved for grounding path and wants to know what the difference between a whip and mc would be i try to tell him mc has factory wrapped wire and our whips are made to spec and are reguired to comply with pipe fill codes plus use a ul approved grounding connector and even with specs on the material nothing on the flex says approved grounding path but the ur listing does say it meets art 250 standards

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Fixture whips are usually made from 3/8" FMC. In lengths 6' or less, 3/8" FMC is approved for grounding with the proper connectors.

250.118(5) Listed flexible metal conduit meeting all the following conditions:
a. The conduit is terminated in listed fittings.
b. The circuit conductors contained in the conduit are protected by overcurrent devices rated at 20 amperes or less.
c. The combined length of flexible metal conduit and flexible metallic tubing and liquidtight flexible metal conduit in the same ground return path does not exceed 1.8 m (6 ft).
d. Where used to connect equipment where flexibility is necessary after installation, an equipment grounding conductor shall be installed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Based on 110.2 the "whips" you are using are subject to approval.
The whips that are installed in this area normally carry a UL label as shown on the attached.
View attachment 3342

Some have a whip with a UR, but those are one which have come as an "assembled" unit with the whip supplied by the factory as part of a listed Assembly.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Greg,
I'm not in disagreement, but I was addressing his Post #3. My post was partly generated by incidents where E/C's have installed "pre-assembled"
whips purchased from a third party. In those cases we have normally asked for the UL: (NRTL) listing of the assembly.
The use of a UL listed connector an a "purchased assembled whip" is not normally sufficient to inspectors in this area.

dcspector

Greg,
I'm not in disagreement, but I was addressing his Post #3. My post was partly generated by incidents where E/C's have installed "pre-assembled"
whips purchased from a third party. In those cases we have normally asked for the UL: (NRTL) listing of the assembly.
The use of a UL listed connector an a "purchased assembled whip" is not normally sufficient to inspectors in this area.

Gus I got it....went over my head sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.