Feeder tap rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hunger

A small sub panel for a hot tub, next to the main panel, can the feeder taps come from the line side of the main breaker to feed the sub panel. The feeder taps conductor size is the same size as feeding the hot tub, #6. The sub panel is 18" from the main panel and the conductor are in a raceway.

brian john

If the lugs/termination connectors are rated for dual conductors of different sizes.
If the sub panel AIC is acceptable
If the sub panel is service rated.
If the sub panel has a main.
If the tap is 10' or less.

Missing anything?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A small sub panel for a hot tub, next to the main panel, can the feeder taps come from the line side of the main breaker to feed the sub panel. The feeder taps conductor size is the same size as feeding the hot tub, #6. The sub panel is 18" from the main panel and the conductor are in a raceway.

Looking at BJ's list I wold guess that the answer is no.

Welcome to the forum. :)

iwire

Staff member
We have to clear something up.

Are the conductors 'service conductors' or are they 'feeder conductors'

This statement is contradictory to me

can the feeder taps come from the line side of the main breaker

If the added panel is supplied from the line side of the existing service disconnecting means none of the feeder tap rules in 240 apply as it is not a feeder.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Brian,
I had not thought along these lines previously, but the OP referenced "
feeder taps". From his post it would appear we might be "tapping" a service, and by your referencing the panel being "service rated" I feel you are talking about taps off a "service".
That being the case where would the "10 ft or less" rule originate ?
As, I said, I am looking at this anew, but would the restrictions not be based on 230.40, 230.42 & 230.70 ?

{Bob was addressing the same thing as I was typing---far better, of course..(not unusual) }

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Good point iwire and augie.

Don't you have follow all the same rules for a service conductor tap as service conductors?

edit: changed mind about legallity of the install....reading through 230.82......

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
There is no such thing as service taps, but you can supply up to six separate service disconnecting means in one location from one set of service entrance conductors. :smile:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
There is no such thing as service taps, but you can supply up to six separate service disconnecting means in one location from one set of service entrance conductors. :smile:

230.46 Spliced Conductors. Service-entrance conductors
shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped in accordance
with 110.14, 300.5(E), 300.13, and 300.15.

:D:D:D

I do understand your point though....service taps are very limited....

load management devices
circuits for standby power systems
fire pump equipment
fire and sprinkler alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.