"Industrial Facility"

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In several places, the NEC has separate rules that apply only to "industrial facilities." But it does not define that phrase. There is a limited definition in 240.2, but that one does not help in my particular situation.

Is there an authoritative source that can tell me whether a laboratory building can be treated as an "industrial facility," in the context used in the NEC? Rather than simply asking the AHJ for a ruling, I prefer to have an answer to present to the AHJ, with a documented basis in my back pocket.

drbond24

My, my you've been busy today charlie b. I'm going home in 45 minutes, so after that you won't have to look at Spongebob again for a while (unless you watch him on the weekends like I do :D).

How about the dictionary for an authoritative source?

in⋅dus⋅try  /ˈɪndəstri/ [in-duh-stree]
–noun, plural -tries for 1, 2, 7. 1. the aggregate of manufacturing or technically productive enterprises in a particular field, often named after its principal product: the automobile industry; the steel industry.

On the basis that a laborary is a 'technically productive enterprise,' I would vote that it could be a type of industrial facility. I look forward to the discussion on this one, though.

Edit: Btw, I looked up 'industrial' first, but it just referred back to 'industry' which is why I chose that definition.

Team-MEI

Inactive, Email Never Verified
From my limited experience; the issue usually boils-down to public spaces. If the Lab facility is deemed off-limits to general public participation or presence then you are reasonably assured that certain NEC related industry related items can be reasonably administrated, i.e. only knowledgeable persons are present. Hope that helps; grey determination areas are usually a feast for AHJ. Good luck.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In several places, the NEC has separate rules that apply only to "industrial facilities." But it does not define that phrase. There is a limited definition in 240.2, but that one does not help in my particular situation.

Is there an authoritative source that can tell me whether a laboratory building can be treated as an "industrial facility," in the context used in the NEC? Rather than simply asking the AHJ for a ruling, I prefer to have an answer to present to the AHJ, with a documented basis in my back pocket.

Doesn't it actually use the phrase "industrial occupancy" as opposed to "industrial facility"?

I believe the various occupancies are defined in other NFPA documents.

JWCELECTRIC

What is the Architect's classification of this area on this project?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The specific code section that comes into play is 368.17(B). There, the actual phrase used is "industrial establishments." The area of interest is the electric room on one floor of a lab building. None of this space is accessible to the general public, and the electric room is accessible only to the maintenance staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.