mc cable in air void with zip ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no requirement for 1 1/4" setback from the face of the stud when using metal studs and MC cable.

SiddMartin

It sounds like the same method I use for NM when finishing a basement. Instead of drilling holes in all the studs, I just run the NM in the gap between the framing and the foundation.

There are some who say my method of support the cable is not listed, therefore would not pass inspections.

DSC_1892a.jpg

may be quicker to zipty to the stape then rig up the RX

ericsherman37

The main difference is that there are already holes in the metal studs. Why not just pull the MC throught the holes and call it a day???

Well, because:

'Cause then you need them plastic bushing thingies, and some brands of MC pull in one direction only. :grin:

and...

True, the wedge-wound stuff can be pulled in both directions, but I hate it when you get 50' through the hole, then it binds and pulls the jacket apart. Or worse yet, pulling it the wrong way through a long wall of metal studs - even with plastic bushings it's a nightmare. It's much simpler to go to the other supply house and get the smooth wound MC :)

ericsherman37

iwire

Staff member
What specific article would you cite to say that MC cable through a steel stud hole requires 1 1/4" of setback?

Try 330.17

300.17 sends us to 300.4(A), (C) and (D).

But 300.4(A) only applies to wood framing members so when MC is run through holes perpendicularly to the framing members there is no 1.25" set back requirement.

However 300.4(D) applies to all framing members so if MC is run parallel to framing members there is an 1.25" setback requirement. :smile:

dcspector

But 300.4(A) only applies to wood framing members so when MC is run through holes perpendicularly to the framing members there is no 1.25" set back requirement.

However 300.4(D) applies to all framing members so if MC is run parallel to framing members there is an 1.25" setback requirement. :smile:

Agreed Bob.......I have educated our staff on this as well in the past.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

That's it in a nutshell. Use a Colorado Jim or other method to keep 1 1/4" off of the stud when running parallel and you're good. Even with 1 5/8" metal studs and rock on both sides you can run through the holes without the 1 1/4" setback.

dcspector

That's it in a nutshell. Use a Colorado Jim or other method to keep 1 1/4" off of the stud when running parallel and you're good. Even with 1 5/8" metal studs and rock on both sides you can run through the holes without the 1 1/4" setback.

Agreed Rob....CJ was a wonderful invention.....Wish I would have thought of it....Then what would they call it.......a "DC Greg" ...nope don't sound right.

justin59

I always use kx clips and strap the mc to the back of the stud. I do this for running on top of metal ceiling joists. As long as your running perpendicular to the studs you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.