irreversible compression-type connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid that I am once again confused, this time is on Art 250.64(C)
We have a ground grid system which we connect our 4/0 grounds to, which we use to ground our panels, transformers etc. by doing this, are we extending our grounding electrode system? does the splice from the grid become part of the grounding electrode system? Since the ground is derived from the grid and not through the feeder cable ground conductors, does this mean Art 250.64 (C)applies; irreversible crimps or welding only or can mechanical lugs be used? the lugs are accessible.

quogueelectric

What Hypress dies are aproved for these installs. I only have one 15 die stainless set and 8die standard set plus an alcoa hypress for AL conductors. With Alcoa hypress dies for AL There is a new die for the grounding and I want to buy it but it is on my long wish list now. What does burndy call it so I can getr one???

I'm afraid that I am once again confused, this time is on Art 250.64(C)
We have a ground grid system which we connect our 4/0 grounds to, which we use to ground our panels, transformers etc. by doing this, are we extending our grounding electrode system? does the splice from the grid become part of the grounding electrode system? Since the ground is derived from the grid and not through the feeder cable ground conductors, does this mean Art 250.64 (C)applies; irreversible crimps or welding only or can mechanical lugs be used? the lugs are accessible.

Are the panels supplied by service entrance conductors?

Transformer grounding requirements are located in 250.30.
The grounding electrodes acceptable are steel or the water pipe. If one of those is present, you need to ground your transformer(s) to those first. If both, the water pipe or the steel is not present, then you can use another electrode as per 250.52(A).

In regards to your question, the answer of whether or not the splice has to be irreversible, depends on whether or not one can consider the existing grounding electrode conductor as a "Common Grounding Electrode."

I would call it a common ground, we splice onto a burried ground grid system and also to building steel.
I advocate irreversible crimps. I have been told that due to the fact that they make mechanical lugs (that are listed but I have not researched what their listed for) that you can use them to splice onto the grounding electrode system and that irreversible crimps are not required. This is an industerial application. As I said earlier, we tie onto both ground grid and building steel with these mechanical lugs. We are connecting to the grounding electrode system to achieve our grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.