neutral bonded to gen frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadd9

my old gen setup (not installed by me) three phase/ no nuetral to ground bond/ gen frame tied to earth via grnd electrode and bonded to ground bar at main panel.

my new gen neutral/frame and pe ground lug all have continuity i ran a condutor from the neutral lug and was wondering if i can bond this to the ground bar in the main panel and the gec.

the old gen is not going to be used

i'm not sure why the old generators neutral and frame were not bonded but should i do the same and if so how

brian john

What type of transfer switch 3-pole or 4-pole.

In a 3-phase wye system

3-pole with the neutral grounded at the main service the neutral is NOT bonded at the generator.

4-pole with the neutral grounded at the main service the neutral id bonded at the generator.

eadd9

In a 3-phase wye system

3-pole with the neutral grounded at the main service the neutral is NOT bonded at the generator.

4-pole with the neutral grounded at the main service the neutral id bonded at the generator.

unless we can consider the breaker thats on the generator we dont use a transfer switch

eadd9

In a 3-phase wye system

the term id ( forgive my ignorance) but does that stand for identified?

brian john

As Don said what is the generator used for?

Is there a utility service?

If there is a utility service how do you connect to the service to feed the system?

eadd9

As Don said what is the generator used for?

Is there a utility service?

If there is a utility service how do you connect to the service to feed the system?

no utility service the generator is our sole source of three phase power

we have a pole mounted metered disconnect ( utility ) for our single phase power and we use the generator for our 3 phase power

Rick Christopherson

When I answered your PM earlier, I didn't realize that your question was related to this thread that I had noticed a couple of days ago.

The thing that concerns me is that your previous system did not have neutral/ground bonding at the generator, so that would suggest you have neutral/ground bonding at another location. You cannot have this at two locations, as that would set up the ground loop you were concerned about in your PM.

I am not an expert on this aspect of code, but I believe that if this generator is permanent then you need to keep it bonded and remove all bonding downstream. It would be a separately derived system with its own on-board overload protection.

When I first saw this thread, I was going to tell you that if you determined that you should not have the generator bonded, that your owner's manual should explain where the bonding jumper is located and how to remove it. Commercial generators will have a bonding jumper, and it is only the "Home Depot" generators where this is not an option.

eadd9

When I answered your PM earlier, I didn't realize that your question was related to this thread that I had noticed a couple of days ago.

The thing that concerns me is that your previous system did not have neutral/ground bonding at the generator, so that would suggest you have neutral/ground bonding at another location. You cannot have this at two locations, as that would set up the ground loop you were concerned about in your PM.

I am not an expert on this aspect of code, but I believe that if this generator is permanent then you need to keep it bonded and remove all bonding downstream. It would be a separately derived system with its own on-board overload protection.

When I first saw this thread, I was going to tell you that if you determined that you should not have the generator bonded, that your owner's manual should explain where the bonding jumper is located and how to remove it. Commercial generators will have a bonding jumper, and it is only the "Home Depot" generators where this is not an option.

the only neutral ground bonding is on the single phase utility side would that be the reason?

eadd9

the utilty power controls lights and motor controls ect. and in this panel the neutrals and grounds are bonded but the generator is only used for it's 480v three phase power as we are ( in the sticks as they say ) and 3 phase is not available at least it would be very costly to get it to us.

so today i will check to see if the ground in the main dist. panel from the gen is bonded to the utility panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.