fine or not fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timboe

I work in a distribution center and there are computer stations all over. We have power strips with six spaces secured to the tables. Someplaces have one plugged into another. I say this is ok. They are individually protected as labeled at 15amps with built in circuit breakers. The main breaker is a 120v 20amp circuit so if there are two power strips together if the amps get above 15amps it has two chances to protect itself. What do you think about this?

cpal

I'd check with the mfg, I think it may be a violation of the listing to dasiy chain the plug strips.

jeremysterling

This is a recent thread on the subject

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=113042

Here is a couple of quotes from the white book regarding these power taps:

Quote:
RELOCATABLE POWER TAPS (XBYS)
USE AND INSTALLATION
This category covers relocatable power taps rated 250 V ac or less, 20 A or
less. They are intended for indoor use as relocatable multiple outlet extensions
of a single branch circuit to supply laboratory equipment, home workshops,
home movie lighting controls, musical instrumentation, and to provide
outlet receptacles for computers, audio and video equipment, and
other equipment.

Quote:
Relocatable power taps are not
intended to be series connected (daisy chained) to other relocatable power
taps or to extension cords.

sii

Don't know about UL listing but our insurance co. rep made us do away with ALL power strips last time they "inspected" us.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Don't know about UL listing but our insurance co. rep made us do away with ALL power strips last time they "inspected" us.
I had a Fire Marshal in Seattle do that to me one time in an office. His claim was that they are all unsafe and a fire hazard, UL listed or not. He also made us remove the rubber walk-over strips covering some long cords on the floor behind desks. He said that if a 6' cord would not reach an outlet or we needed more places to plug things in, we would need to install more outlets. Mind you, he was NOT the electrical inspector, it was for an occupancy permit. We removed them all, he left, we put them back in.

bobsherwood

I think it's fine to plug one into an other for all the reasons above BUT! The fire marshall in University Park TX would not allow it. I asked our fire safety guy and he showed me, in a NFPA fire code book that is a violation. When the fire marsh left, we did not put them back because he's here once a year in each building. Southern Methodist University.

Microwatt

Not fine

Not fine

Relocatable power taps cannot be fastened to anything nor can they daisey-chained or used with extension cords plain and simple. It' all in the UL white book.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The means of support for the power taps is normally a keyhole slot on the back. You can support, but not secure the power strip if that is the case and the UL Guide infomation says you can't secure the power strip. It doesn't say you can't support it.
Relocatable power taps are not intended to be permanently secured to building structures, tables, work benches or similar structures, nor are they intended to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring. The cords of relocatable power taps are not intended to be routed through walls, windows, ceilings, floors or similar openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.