CFL interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

At HO on a service change and while I was talking to the HO she mentons that her TV doesn't work when when her two table lamps are on. She has to turn the light off to get her remote to work. What happen was she changed to the new CFL bulbs and they cause interference with the frequency of the remote. This is the first time I heard of this. Anyway to fix this, other then change back to regular bulbs?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Most remotes are infrared, but this must have been a radio remote like some of the satelite recievers use.

It could just be a bad lamp.

bphgravity

I recently took some clasess on energy star / LEED. During the class one if the instructors indicated that RFI from CFL's is not regulated but is limited by the energy star program.

Based on that, I assume they MAY be less likely to effect IR and RFI transmissions.

Mr.Sparkle

I got a little crazy during an earth day sale a year ago and outfitted my entire house with cfl's, everything from the Recessed Cans to the Vanity lights and surprisingly I have no interference whatsoever, nothing....not even in my home recording studio. Did I just get lucky? Cause I sure expected it....

On a side note, I'd say I replaced 30 or so incandescents with cfl's and to be quite honest I have not seen much of a difference in my electric bill......anyone care to enlighten me as to why? I vote a bunch of sales pitch "green" BS. :grin:

bphgravity

IOn a side note, I'd say I replaced 30 or so incandescents with cfl's and to be quite honest I have not seen much of a difference in my electric bill......anyone care to enlighten me as to why? I vote a bunch of sales pitch "green" BS. :grin:

Probably becuase your cost of your lighting is a very small precentage of your total bill, thus the change to CFL's presented only a minor decrease to an already small portion of the total cost.

MarkyMarkNC

My bill has averaged about $10 less per month compared to last year when I put in CFL's.

I have no problem with interference from CFL's on any electronics in the house, but when my wireless ethernet hub is running, it makes some of the CFL's near the antenna flicker on and off slightly, even when the switch is off to the light.

guschash

Well I'll see if I can find the energy/star leeds. I will let know if they work when I go back over there.

dbuckley

I suspect its the switching frequency of the CFL lamp is too close to the carrier frequency of the remote. Switching brands of CFL will hopefully work.

I used to have this a few years back with a clock with neon surround lighting. Had to move the clock in the end...

Status
Not open for further replies.