Commercial light switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Interesting, the majority of retail spaces I have done over the years were total flouresent, all lighting switched from the panel, except maybe the sign, which was on a time clock or photocell.

If there's HID, then you can use breakers marked HID.

But increasingly, I've seen a lot of incandescent going into retail, so breakers can't be used for switching those.

Retail_Clothing_Store.jpg

Retail_Store.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why is it you cannot use a circuit breaker to switch an incandescent light fixture?

You can, there is nothing prohibiting it. 240.83D only requires breakers used for switching Florescents and HID's be listed and marked as such.

The White Book info tells us that breakers marked SWD and/or HID are suitable for this, it does not say they are not suitable for switching other loads.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
Here in CA every area over 100 sq ft is required to have dual swithching and you must be able to see that area controlled by the switch.

So your local Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Walmart have dual switch all around the store? :smile:

My point is I think there is more then what your telling us. :smile:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
So your local Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Walmart have dual switch all around the store? :smile:

My point is I think there is more then what your telling us. :smile:

Well there is, the CA energy code is as large as the NEC. The switching can be controlled by a ceritified control device, but you are still required to have over ride swithces, the floor area is one area and the lighting is required to be able to be reduced 50% in a uniform manner. the lunch room, bathrooms, offices, etc are all required to have seperate switching.

If you have sky lights, which are now required in larger building, then you have daylight switching requirements, which my be switched seperatly from the other switches.

My point is, you cannot use the breakers as a switch, unless it is located in the area in which the lights you are controling are also located in that area, and you would need two circuits to get you bi-level switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.