Cable tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEO

Cable trays are designed for supporting cables. See section 392.6 (J) for supporting raceways, cables ,boxes etc from cable trays.

cadpoint

I'm going to say no, but not from the NEC side but from the Building Code side.

1. Most all services have to be independently supported.

2. Most all new building code specifications have a minimum requirement of a two inch separation from another service.

3. Based on your profile, and this OP: it's just an assumption on my part the Underwriter might well be involved as well
as Factory Mutual, some one with any sense should spot this violation. JMO

jdsmith

Can I run 1″ stain steel gas line that will have 60 psi on the top edge of 24″ alum. cable tray?

A few concerns:
Depends on the tray layout, but somebody might want to clamp a roller on the side of the tray in the future to pull in another cable. Sure, they can put the roller on the other side, but with pulling tension, sidewall pressure, and bending radius it can be important to have the roller on one particular side.

Even though it isn't supposed to happen, sometimes electricians are inclined to walk or crawl on the tray set up a pull, tie wrap the cable down, etc. Having a gas line mounted on the rail of the tray would be a safety issue, and even thought people aren't supposed to walk the tray we have to plan for the reality of working in a plant.

We don't allow cable tray to support other "stuff" in the refinery where I work. In many cases people will attach some new steel to the structural supports for the cable tray to support pipe rather than using the tray itself.

edavis2293

gas line on cable tray

gas line on cable tray

Anytime we run cable tray, section 300.8 of the NEC prohibits the use of cable tray for any use exept electrical cables. Answer: don't run the gas line on or in the tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.