Door Chime Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

We had a wire omission on a house recently and I am trying to correct it. During the rough-in, the door chime transformer power and button wire was pulled, but the chime wire was not. My attempt at correcting was to install a chime at the transformer location and then I installed an extender to be heard throughout the house. It worked great but now the problem is that the chime and transmitter are located in a mechanical room with central vac canister. When the vac is used, it sets off the chime extender (which operates off of the noise of the chime ring, BTW). I relocated the chime and extender about 8' away but still have the same problem so I am wondering if it something more than just the noise of the canister. I may result to just a simple wireless chime kit, but I would prefer the HOs in nice new custom home not have to deal with a battery dependant system.

hershey

I'm assuming the door chime extender (I'm refering to the transmitter portion) was of the wireless type. I have purchased some where as the transmitter wires to the main bell unit so noises in the area do not effect the remote units. I'm sure they are still on the market but for the life of me I can't remember the manufacturer,,,sorry

360Youth

I'm assuming the door chime extender (I'm refering to the transmitter portion) was of the wireless type. I have purchased some where as the transmitter wires to the main bell unit so noises in the area do not effect the remote units. I'm sure they are still on the market but for the life of me I can't remember the manufacturer,,,sorry

I will have to look, thanks.

ohm

We had a wire omission on a house recently and I am trying to correct it. During the rough-in, the door chime transformer power and button wire was pulled, but the chime wire was not. My attempt at correcting was to install a chime at the transformer location and then I installed an extender to be heard throughout the house. It worked great but now the problem is that the chime and transmitter are located in a mechanical room with central vac canister. When the vac is used, it sets off the chime extender (which operates off of the noise of the chime ring, BTW). I relocated the chime and extender about 8' away but still have the same problem so I am wondering if it something more than just the noise of the canister. I may result to just a simple wireless chime kit, but I would prefer the HOs in nice new custom home not have to deal with a battery dependant system.

I too was a little down on battery technology until I saw how they power wireless motion door sensors and smokes with a 3-5 year Lithiom ion batteries.

ericsherman37

Get a relay, run the coil off the vacuum canister circuit, and run the doorbell circuit through an N.C. contact so when the vacuum is turned on, the doorbell system shuts off till the vacuum is turned back off.

Just kidding.

:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thom, you really can's route a 2-cond. wire to any suitable place in the house?

Outside beneath siding? In a plumbing or HVAC chase?

Unused wire or two in the thermostat cable?

360Youth

Thom, you really can's route a 2-cond. wire to any suitable place in the house?

Outside beneath siding? In a plumbing or HVAC chase?

Unused wire or two in the thermostat cable?

This house is solid with as much trim as I have ever seen. The existing transformer is in a mechanical room surrounded by closet, kitchen, and entry. I have thought about trying to locate a chime in the entry, but I am not sure. Good ideas, tho.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This house is solid with as much trim as I have ever seen. The existing transformer is in a mechanical room surrounded by closet, kitchen, and entry. I have thought about trying to locate a chime in the entry, but I am not sure. Good ideas, tho.
Attic or crawl spaces available? How about snaking behind crown mold, door trim, or baseboard 1/4-round?

Hint: use a sharp razor to cut paint/caulk where trim meets drywall, and drive finish nails through trim with a nail-set.

360Youth

Attic or crawl spaces available? How about snaking behind crown mold, door trim, or baseboard 1/4-round?

Hint: use a sharp razor to cut paint/caulk where trim meets drywall, and drive finish nails through trim with a nail-set.

Not in this house. Of all the times I have worried about a wire getting left out, I never thought a door chime would be so much trouble. :roll: I may be able to move it into the downstairs foyer and be able to use the extender from there.

GUNNING

I'm with the plaster fix. Time to fix it right. Get a can a patch and tape and a Qt of white paint. I'm thinking the vacuum has some RF or noise on the line enough to trip the chime. Either find the chime extender with the RF blocker or move it.:cool:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What's the difference between the extender and a normal wireless doorbell? The chime still appears to run on batteries anyway...?

Batteries fail, transformers fail, I'd recommend installing a wireless doorbell, and comp the homeowner. No sense in busting drywall for a doorbell, IMO, unless they really want it to.

360Youth

What's the difference between the extender and a normal wireless doorbell? The chime still appears to run on batteries anyway...?

Batteries fail, transformers fail, I'd recommend installing a wireless doorbell, and comp the homeowner. No sense in busting drywall for a doorbell, IMO, unless they really want it to.

In this case the only battery is the transmitter. Otherwise you need batteries for chime and push button.Plus this allows for a standard button which is much more low profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.