SE Cable Connectors / Plastic Bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

I have a local inspector referring me to 312.6(C), and telling me that plastic bushings are required on SE Cable Type connectors entering a load center or meter enclosure. The size cable in the connectors would be either 2/0 or 4/0. Is the inspector correct, or is my interpretation that the article he is referring to is relating to conductors in a raceway and SE Cable in a SE connector would not require a plastic bushing?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They are not required. Ask him for a code reference that doesn't apply to raceways but applies to SE connectors.

Welcome to the forum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a local inspector referring me to 312.6(C), and telling me that plastic bushings are required on SE Cable Type connectors entering a load center or meter enclosure. The size cable in the connectors would be either 2/0 or 4/0. Is the inspector correct, or is my interpretation that the article he is referring to is relating to conductors in a raceway and SE Cable in a SE connector would not require a plastic bushing?

I agree with the inspector but I guess I would be wrong also. :grin:

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Cables, like NM and SE are required to have the sheath extend past the connector and that will act as your bushing.

Cables like MC and AC have connectors that provide suitable protection in lieu of an additional bushing.

JMO,

iwire

Staff member
Bob, Is that requirement part of the listing of the connector?

I am guessing based on the NEMA statement about red heads and MC connectors. NEMA states the connectors are designed to protect the cable without the use of a red head so I assume it also must protect the cable without the use of a bushing as the NEC only requires bushings on raceways. :smile:

Did that make any sense? :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Cables, like NM and SE are required to have the sheath extend past the connector and that will act as your bushing.

Cables like MC and AC have connectors that provide suitable protection in lieu of an additional bushing.

JMO,

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum! :smile:

I have a local inspector... telling me that plastic bushings are required on SE Cable Type connectors entering a load center or meter enclosure.
As already stated, connectors do not require bushings, but the sharpest corners I've seen have been on PVC MA's. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.