Luminaire Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm having a hard time deciphering weather this meets the code or not:

View attachment 3360

I believe this is 1/2" RMC or IMC, and it is supported from (2) trusses that are probably 6' apart.

Opinions or references please?

Steve

KevinVost

It looks like you have EMT running horizontal across the framing and a T condilet droping down the rigid to the light. Is that the case? If so I would question the use of EMT connectors as the support of the condilet/fixture assembly. Article 410.36 E - Raceway fittings shall be capable of supporting the entire fixture assembly and lamps.

If the weight of the fixture causes the conduit to deflect downwards once full weight is on it, I would be worried about the conduit pulling apart and causing the fixture to hang by the wires or worse yet, it falls. (Do they have safety wires?)

If the entire run was threaded (although costly) it would not make me question it, since the conduit could not pull out of the condilet.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Its either threaded rigid or intermediate conduit, not EMT.

Does anyone have a reference? I've looked at 314, and 410, but they make my head spin.

FYI: Its not something I installed. These were installed years ago, in a building that may be reused for another function.

Steve

neutral

Its either threaded rigid or intermediate conduit, not EMT.

Does anyone have a reference? I've looked at 314, and 410, but they make my head spin.

FYI: Its not something I installed. These were installed years ago, in a building that may be reused for another function.

Steve

If its been there for years? It looks like its holding up very good, so let it be. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

danickstr

what is the ceiling made of? can you spin in a threaded lag, hang an all thread and put a pipe hanger at the end of it? Then drunk folks can swing from it, which is always my fear with hanging fixtures.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It looks like steel and fiberglass panels laid on wood purlins supported by wood bar trusses to me.

Yes, steel panels on wood purlins and trusses (and wood posts that aren't in the photo.)

My only job here is to provide an opinion - do they meet code or not. If they don't meet code, they will probably all be removed with a complete new install.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My only job here is to provide an opinion - do they meet code or not. If they don't meet code, they will probably all be removed with a complete new install.
I'd suggest laying a piece of strut from joist to joist, above the conduit and parallel to the purlins, and attaching something from the strut to the T or to the fixture itself.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think the code rule that applies is 314.23(F) in the 2005 code.

I also thought that applied, but that rule is 1/2 a page long. After reading it several times, I think the installation generally complies, except for the last 4 words of paragraph (F) which seems to limit the conduit stem to 3". Not sure why the conduit stem length would matter??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Steve,
It is the conduit supports on each side of the T that are the problem.
(F) Raceway Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires (Fixtures), or Lampholders An enclosure that contains a device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(s) [fixture(s)], lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm 3 (100 in. 3) in size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure.

active1

While don brought the 18" in 314.23(F) I think we may have missed an easy one.

342.30(A) (IMC) or 344.30(A) (RMC)

Fastening conduit within 3' each conduit body or 5' where structural members do not readily permit fastening within 3'.

I don't know if it's 5' or more. To me it looks a bit off center and if the joists are 10' on center it could be more than 5'. But like said 18" is the distance they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.