Pool pump and heater wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

delfadelfa

I have your standard in-ground pool with a liner to wire with one pool light, gas heater, and filter pump. The pump pulls 7.5 amps at 240v and the heater pulls 3 amps at 240v. The heater and pump are about 30 feet from the pool and right next to the house so I was going to run one 20 amp 240v GFI protected circuit and mount two 240v switches on the outside of the house for each unit and hard wire them.

I know that the pump needs to be GFI protected but I can't find anything about GFI protection for the small motor in the gas heater. I'm 67.9% sure it does not need it but would like to be 100%. Would you run them on the same circuit or run two? I've wired inside pool lights before - 3/4 pvc from brass deck box to panel - unbroken green #12 thhn from deck box to panel - GFI protected.

I'm always the high bidder on pool jobs because for some reason I hate wiring them. Well apparently this guy did not get any other bids and now I'm wiring a pool next week. I guess I still need one GFI receptacle between 5 and 20 feet from the waters edge and no wiring within 5 feet of the pool and the pvc needs to be buried 18 inches below grade. All bonding was done by the pool company and inspected, I'll just have to bond their conductor to the heater and the pump. Did I forget anything besides spellcheck?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The heater is not required to be GFCI protected. The heater must not run without the pump, so it kind of makes sense to put them on the same breaker. What kind of switches are you installing (are these just to serve as a disconnecting means)? The pump doesn't usually use a switch, but a time clock. The heater could also trigger the pump when the pool is too cold, or else water flow from the pump could enable the heater. Need to find out how the homeowner wants it to work.

The heater will need a disconnect of some type within sight of it. The time clock may not count as a disconnect for the pump. Even if its legal, I don't trust it as a disconnect. So your two switches sounds like a good approach.

KevinVost

I have your standard in-ground pool with a liner to wire with one pool light, gas heater, and filter pump. The pump pulls 7.5 amps at 240v and the heater pulls 3 amps at 240v. The heater and pump are about 30 feet from the pool and right next to the house so I was going to run one 20 amp 240v GFI protected circuit and mount two 240v switches on the outside of the house for each unit and hard wire them.

I know that the pump needs to be GFI protected but I can't find anything about GFI protection for the small motor in the gas heater. I'm 67.9% sure it does not need it but would like to be 100%. Would you run them on the same circuit or run two? I've wired inside pool lights before - 3/4 pvc from brass deck box to panel - unbroken green #12 thhn from deck box to panel - GFI protected.

I'm always the high bidder on pool jobs because for some reason I hate wiring them. Well apparently this guy did not get any other bids and now I'm wiring a pool next week. I guess I still need one GFI receptacle between 5 and 20 feet from the waters edge and no wiring within 5 feet of the pool and the pvc needs to be buried 18 inches below grade. All bonding was done by the pool company and inspected, I'll just have to bond their conductor to the heater and the pump. Did I forget anything besides spellcheck?

If your underground conduit contains GFCI protected circuits and this is a single dwelling unit, 300.5 allows you to bury PVC at 12". Also, if you are under 2008 your recept will be at least 6' -20' from the pool, if your under 2005 your at 10' - 20', for the required outlet. And I agree with the other post, if your running one circuit for the heater and pump GFCI and move on. IMO any pump that circulates pool water, regardless of the equipment it is attached too, requires GFCI.

iMuse97

The only thing I would add would be: What about twistlocks on SO cord for discos? I like to store my pool pump and heater in the shed over the winter and the twistlocks work great.

badabing

As for having the pool heater only run when the pump runs we would install a timeclock with a firemans switch. The heater usually has a red wire in the control area that you cut, and splice the wires with the ones on the timeclock. (basically it's 2 little wires hanging out on the the time clock, you just connect those to the ones labeled 'firemans switch' inside the control panel) That allows the heater to shut off before the timeclock turns the pump off.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Doesn't the heater have a flow switch which would keep it from running if there is no water flow?

I agree the pool heater does not require a GFCI but I have never seen a pool gas heater with a pump.

KevinVost

Scott it is my understanding that this table is only where the underground is within 5' of the pool. At least that is my interpretation.

I agree, and since the OP stated that no wiring will be within 5' of the pool and he was most likely using GFCI, there's no reason to dig any deeper :D

delfadelfa

Thanks for the info guys.

The 3/4 inch pvc is just for the pool light - 120v about a 130' trench. I do see in the code book that this only has to be 12" deep if GFI protected. All the wiring to the pump and heater will be above ground because they are right nexts to the house. I was going to use two 15amp double pole single throw switches for the disconnects in a 2 gang box with 1/2 sealtite going to the units.

The house is 25 feet from the pool and there is a concrete patio from there to the pool. I don't know if the inspector will let me get away with putting a GFI receptacle on the house which is 25" from the pools.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The house is 25 feet from the pool and there is a concrete patio from there to the pool. I don't know if the inspector will let me get away with putting a GFI receptacle on the house which is 25" from the pools.

He may let you get away with it but the code does require one no further than 20' but you knew that. :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Del, I think it would be more economical to run a feeder to a small 3R sub-panel, allowing the 2p breakers to act as equipment disconnects and a couple of 1p's for the receptacle and lighting.

It would be a lot easier to mount a single box and spread your whips and conduits from there, and look much tidier than individual boxes. You might run a 30a feeder for distance and future needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.