resistance and inductance

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

what would be the effects on a circuit if it had both resistors and inductors?

somebody told me that adding resistance to an inductive circuit will throw power factor off and cause weird problems. i have no idea what he was talking about. can anybody explain?

peter d

Adding any reactive component to a circuit will change the power factor. Capacitors and inductors both cause the current and voltage to be out of phase, and of course, this is why the power factor will be less than unity. Unity power factor is only achieved in a purely resistive circuit (heaters, incandescent lamps.)

ericsherman37

Sounds like the ol' RLC Combination circuit stuff that I remember so fondly.

An inductor in an AC circuit will create inductive reactance in the circuit (why, exactly, I still only somewhat grasp). But the bottom line is that it unsynchronizes the current and voltage waveforms from each other. Similar but opposite effect with capacitors. So depending on how you arrange a circuit (series vs. parallel) containing inductors and resistors, the total circuit impedance will vary accordingly.

The inductive reactance can be represented by a vector, with a magnitude and a direction (in this case, the magnitude is however many ohms of inductive reactance are in the circuit, in a direction 90 degrees deflected from the resistive component). The circuit resistance does not contribute to any leading or lagging current, so its vector is simply the magnitude of resistive ohms in a direction of 0 degrees. If there were any capacitors in the circuit creating capacative reactance, they would have a vector also, 90? from the resistive vector and 180? from the inductive reactance vector. So in a circuit containing both capacitors and inductors, their respective current-opposing attributes will cancel each other out to the extent of their magnitude. Example: circuit with 5 ohms of inductive reactance and 2 ohms of capacative reactance. These reactances oppose each other vectorially opposite, so they would cancel out, leaving only 3 ohms of inductive reactance - closer to zero than before (why we use capacitors to correct power factor on big motor circuits and stuff).

Here's my primitive artistic skills in action:

rlcexample.jpg

The total amount of capacitive or inductive reactance in a circuit is determined by how it is wired. Inductors in series or parallel are calculated similarly to resistors. Capacitors are opposite. Once the numbers are boiled down to a single value then the vector math applies and you can figure out what the total circuit impedance is.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
somebody told me that adding resistance to an inductive circuit will throw power factor off and cause weird problems. i have no idea what he was talking about.
Neither does he! "Throw power factor off?" That is a nonsense statement. I don't mean to say that it is in error; it simply makes no sense. What was the power factor in the first place, and why was that "on" (meaning good, or correct), if adding resistance will throw it "off"?

A circuit with inductance only (i.e., no resistance) will have a power factor of zero. A circuit with resistance only (i.e., no inductance) will have a power factor of one. A circuit with both resistance and inductance will have a power factor between zero and one. So ask this "someone" what value power factor has to be, before it is "off."

Status
Not open for further replies.