SER ampacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

UL White Book ZKST:

XHH --Indicates a single conductor having a cross-linked synthetic polymer insulation with no overall covering provided, rated 90?C dry.

XHHW -- Indicates a single conductor with the same description as Type XHH, except that it is rated 90?C dry, 75?C wet.

izak

yeah, well.... i build services all the time with #12 lamp cord
some bone head on this site tried to tell me it wouldnt work, but ive been useing lamp cord for years.

if you need more amps, just add another peice of cord, or (three or ten) twist the ends together, and PRESTO!

you have one larger wire,

if any of you have a problem with this post, then you probably have ALOT better reason to be on this website than I do.

;)

all in good fun
(or whatever i call it)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unfortunately, In TN it now depends on what area you are doing the install. Some areas are on '05, thus 75?, some on '08, thus 60?, and even in the '08 areas some inspectors are enforcing it one way, some another.

iwire

Staff member
Check to see if the conductors are -2 type that allows 90C rate for both WET or Dry.

There are almost no instances where we can use the 90 C rating of SE regardless of it being XHHW-2 or not.

With the changes in the 2008 NEC SE used as indoor feeder or branch circuit conductors is limited to the 60 C rating.

Used as service entrance conductors we are limited to 75 C rating due to the rating of the devices it will connect to.

gndrod

SE vs. XHHW-2

SE vs. XHHW-2

There are almost no instances where we can use the 90 C rating of SE regardless of it being XHHW-2 or not.

With the changes in the 2008 NEC SE used as indoor feeder or branch circuit conductors is limited to the 60 C rating.

Used as service entrance conductors we are limited to 75 C rating due to the rating of the devices it will connect to.

Thanks Bob, I was using an earlier Southwire cutsheet based on SE cable 90C ambient operating base wet or dry (above ground) and not the conductor allowed ampacity 75C rate for XHHW-2 conductors in the SE cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.