60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Can you guess where I took these pictures?:rolleyes::smile:

Boxgrounding001.jpg

Boxgrounding004.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why is photo 1 a violation? Perhaps the emt connector has a conduit attached to it.

Photo 2 has KO seals missing and the connectors don't seem to be enter straight into the box.

iwire

Staff member
Why is photo 1 a violation? Perhaps the emt connector has a conduit attached to it.

Regardless of the EMT if a EGC run it must be terminated properly, A hit pin used to mount the box can not be used as the means to terminate the EGC. :smile:

Photo 2 has KO seals missing and the connectors don't seem to be enter straight into the box.

I assume Chris is only asking about grounding issues based on the title of this thread. :smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Regardless of the EMT if a EGC run it must be terminated properly, A hit pin used to mount the box can not be used as the means to terminate the EGC. :smile:

I assume Chris is only asking about grounding issues based on the title of this thread. :smile:

But the egc is not run in the conduit. Still illegal?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
The box was used to feed 2?4 layins. The grounds from the whips made up to the pigtail.

Oops, I just read 250.48(C) and thats not what I was looking for. Dooh!

Last edited:

zappy

Good point, :grin: I kind of missed that.

But if that section of green was being used to ground a device we would have a problem.

As it is now in the picture the green is just extra junk in there.

You can't ground a device with that? Why? Is it because it's not terminated properly to the box?

benaround

Picture #2 does have an EGC run in the conduit, if it goes to the same panel as the

circuit that's capped off, who knows, but it should be spliced and pigtailed to the box.

hurk27

Picture #2 does have an EGC run in the conduit, if it goes to the same panel as the

circuit that's capped off, who knows, but it should be spliced and pigtailed to the box.

Image 2 does have a green grounding conductor ran with (other circuits)
If these other circuits are not spliced within this box then there is no requirement of bonding to this box 250.148.
The circuit that is spliced in this box needs a proper bonding to the box for a low impedance fault path if required, 3/8" fixture whips would require a grounding conductor so yes a means to attach a grounding conductor to the box would be right, but since the box is shot right to a concrete wall, the grounding screw hole is blocked, so a screw and nut or maybe makeing another hole in the side and threading it 10-32 would do it?

in image 1, well Bob has already covered that a ramset nail that attaches the box is not one of the listed method's to attach a ground wire lol

Status
Not open for further replies.