Pvc expansion joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo9927

Working on a job where i have a 65 ft trench with 2" pvc. .running from the house to a garage. Inspector wants me to put expansion jionts where pvc comes into the buildings. Is this really needed??? 2 ft deep 65 ft long.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
if the conduit turns vertical and extends out of the ditch to a "fixed" enclosure or fitting, an expansion joint is often used (sometimes required) to compensate for ground movement. Often times the conduit without an expansion joint will "settle" and pull loose from the enclosure.

JES2727

Have a look at 352.44. Your conduit could move 3 or 4 inches as the seasons change so expansion fittings would be required, although I don't how much the temperature changes 2 feet below grade.

cpal

if the conduit turns vertical and extends out of the ditch to a "fixed" enclosure or fitting, an expansion joint is often used (sometimes required) to compensate for ground movement. Often times the conduit without an expansion joint will "settle" and pull loose from the enclosure.

I do not believe that the slip (type) expansion joints are not listed for ground movement

cpal

Have a look at 352.44. Your conduit could move 3 or 4 inches as the seasons change so expansion fittings would be required, although I don't how much the temperature changes 2 feet below grade.

A run of 100 feet will move (expand or contract) 4" (4.06" per the table) if subjected to a 100 deg temp (swing)increase or decrease. This assumes the raceway is installed at maximum or minimum temperature. If the installation is made on a 50 degree day and the ambient is 100 deg as a high and 0 deg for a low, the run would be expected to move 2". Predicting the length of change is best done by calculation.

M. D.

300.5 (J) basically says that,.. where direct-buried raceways are subject to movement by settlement or frost, raceways shall be arranged to prevent damage to theenclosed conductors,.. the use of an expansion fitting is one way to prevent damage to the enclosed conductors

cpal

Carlon has what, to me, is a new product that appears to be a brother to the standard expansion joint and is designed for just such applications.
http://www.carlon.com/Master Catalog/Slip_Meter_Riser_Brochure.pdf

I've seen those note they do not mention expansion. I think mid West came out with a similar product years ago.

Carlon does make a fitting for ground movement that may be buried. I have never installed one and I would describe it as two coupelings connected with a inner tube. I don't bknow how you would pull wire through it??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Jimbo, read 300.5(J) and see if your installation is coverd by that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Not a new product. We have been using them here for 20 years on underground services. POCO requires them.

apparently they just didn't "catch on" around here. EC's here use the "standard" expansion joint.

JES2727

A run of 100 feet will move (expand or contract) 4" (4.06" per the table) if subjected to a 100 deg temp (swing)increase or decrease. This assumes the raceway is installed at maximum or minimum temperature. If the installation is made on a 50 degree day and the ambient is 100 deg as a high and 0 deg for a low, the run would be expected to move 2". Predicting the length of change is best done by calculation.

It'll move 4" as the temperature changes from 0 to 100 degrees regardless of the temperature during installation.

cpal

It'll move 4" as the temperature changes from 0 to 100 degrees regardless of the temperature during installation.

Possiably I did not make my self clear

My intent was a temp swing of 100 degrees (as an example). If you install in January at 0 degrees (disregard the lable on the glue can) and if the temp in july is 100 degree. then a 100 foot runb will expand 4.06" (per the table).

If you instal on a 50 degree day you would expect only 1/2 or 2.03" of movement. Sorry I was not more clear. Actually you should crunch the numbers using the formular that the mfg supplies. to get an acurate number of joints and to determine the set point of the race way before installing the hard hanger.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
True, but you should gauge your installation length based on ambient temperature. If it's cold, extend it; ifr it's hot, shorten it.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...If you instal on a 50 degree day you would expect only 1/2 or 2.03" of movement.
The 4.06" (or the adjusted 2.03") of movement is for a run in ambient air temperature. An undergroiund run is not subject to the same ambient temperature or swings. For an area with a 100? ambient air temperature swing through all four seasons, an ambient soil temperature swing at 2' BFG may only be 50? (just a WAG).

JES2727

True, but you should gauge your installation length based on ambient temperature. If it's cold, extend it; ifr it's hot, shorten it.

The 4.06" (or the adjusted 2.03") of movement is for a run in ambient air temperature. An undergroiund run is not subject to the same ambient temperature or swings. For an area with a 100? ambient air temperature swing through all four seasons, an ambient soil temperature swing at 2' BFG may only be 50? (just a WAG).

I agree with both of these points. I was just disagreeing with cpal about how much expansion to expect, according to the table. It's going to move 4 inches. If it's 50 degrees when installed, it will contract 2 inches as the temp moves toward zero. When springtime arrives the conduit will move back to where it was, but as the summer temps approach 100 degrees it will expand 2 inches. That's four inches total.
I don't know, maybe we're just nitpicking over words again. It doesn't matter. Never mind.....

220/221

I have installed literally miles and miles of PVC since the 70's and I never even heard of an expansion fitting until I started reading the electrical message boards.

It has the "where subject to" clause in the code. Maybe it's a regional thing? The desert here is pretty stable.

I wonder how plumbers deal with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.