Double Tap Ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

Just looking at the side of a Square D HOM series 20 amp breaker. It has a picture of the termination screw and say's: "For 2 load wires, use 10-14 copper only, install as shown". Pict shows 2 wires under the screw. Have I been wasting my money buying a breaker for every circuit?

Just looking at the side of a Square D HOM series 20 amp breaker. It has a picture of the termination screw and say's: "For 2 load wires, use 10-14 copper only, install as shown". Pict shows 2 wires under the screw. Have I been wasting my money buying a breaker for every circuit?

That may depend on what size the load for the protected circuit is. There are other considerations as well, such as an individual branch circuit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have I been wasting my money buying a breaker for every circuit?
No, every circuit still requires a breaker. Just not every wire requires its own breaker.

The 2-wire allowance relieves you of having to make a splice for two wires on one breaker.

SEO

Double tapped terminals is one of the most common violations written by home inspectors. If they have a question about anything they write it as a violation.

bradleyelectric

Double tapped terminals is one of the most common violations written by home inspectors. If they have a question about anything they write it as a violation.

Of all the actual hazards that could be written up, they seem to like to justify there pay with 2 wires under a breaker? How about 2 wires terminated under the same screw on the neutral bar? At least that is usually in violation now.

Ohmy

Of all the actual hazards that could be written up, they seem to like to justify there pay with 2 wires under a breaker? How about 2 wires terminated under the same screw on the neutral bar? At least that is usually in violation now.

No kidding...but who are we to stand in the way of a shinning new panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... How about 2 wires terminated under the same screw on the neutral bar? At least that is usually in violation now.
Actually two neutral conductors under the same screw has been a violation for a long time. It is part of the UL standard and part of the listing and labeling instructions and a 110.3(B) rule, but too many installers were not reading the instructions so they put it in the code to call more attention to the rule.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

No Kidding. I admit most Home inspectors make me mad. Heres a quote from an actual report I got on a town home I sold this week.

[quote=" Home Inspector]• Monitor: The circuits at the lower right breaker within the main distribution panel are doubled up (referred to as “double taps”). Ideally, each circuit should be served by a separate breaker to prevent nuisance tripping of the breaker. In this case however, the breaker is designed to handle double taps (Square-D breakers) and this is not a safety concern. [/quote]

Also in his report.

Home inspector said:
• Monitor, Safety Issue: The use of ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets has expanded since this house was built. Currently, GFCI’s are recommended in kitchens and bathrooms (within 5 feet of water), at all outside outlets, and all garage outlets unless they serve a dedicated purpose (such as for a freezer). A GFCI offers increased protection from shock or electrocution. I recommend adding GFCI’s where they are currently not installed.

Last edited:

vinster888

the thing about the home inspectors is they try to get you to think they know everything about everything. we know as much as anybody that is impossible. so they pick the obvious and like to think they actually did someone a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.