A/C Condensor Wiring Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreamlineGT

Ok, here's my situation. The units are placed, and at the other end of the house. I was just going to run a 3/4 EMT with all the circuit conductors in it. I thought about running romex, but beam space is non-existant, and the ceiling is covered with ductwork. This is the last thing to wire in the house, and I would have done it sooner, but the HVAC company couldn't get me any specs on the units they were providing, and I wasn't going to guess.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I use mostly #10, even if the #12 or #14 would work.

Just my preference to oversize it a little.

Mark

MarkyMarkNC

When people say things like this I like to ask why.

To put a little extra money in the supply houses pockets.:grin:

I guess if you are doing T&M work, or have no bid competition, there is no harm installing #10. I love to bid jobs against people who aren't aware of cost savers like this. I would bet the wire on 75% of all condenser units installed are over-sized because the electrician does not understand the code.

Hendrix

I guess if you are doing T&M work, or have no bid competition, there is no harm installing #10. I love to bid jobs against people who aren't aware of cost savers like this. I would bet the wire on 75% of all condenser units installed are over-sized because the electrician does not understand the code.
more like 90% :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

I think most understand they just don't want to deal with the problem of ending up being undersized. Often the AC man will only bid a certain size unit like 3 ton /10 kw heat. GC usually does not care what model or even make. And even on rough in often they do not have name plate of unit that goes in. Doing great just to get info like left or right of the lines. Yes you could save $10 by using #12 or even #14 but if unit ends up bigger then your going back and changing. Yes you can bill for it as extra but might cost you customer. What is the cost to change it if after walls finished and painted ? Worth it ?

RonPecinaJr

Not only do most oversize their A/C, but also their electric oven-ranges and service neutral conductors. If this is the only type work the EC is doing he could lose thousands of dollars like this each year, not to mention losing bids too. I think a lot of them "over do it" simply because not even the inspector knows some of these rules for sizing conductors. That's a problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.