? on 12/2 to 14/2 branch feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyjr55

I have a question if i can ask it. I had a Electric job inspected today in Louisville, Ky. As i am a small time elec contractor and i do the work. I installed a 12/2 romex from the main breaker panel to the first box, a lighting circuit, I ran this wire 12/2 through about 60 feet of attic space. So i then at the first box downsized to a 14/2 romex. And i plan on installing a 15 amp breaker in the panel.

At first the electrical inspector said i could not do this as somebody might in future years install a 20 amp breaker. I told him i was writing a little tag to install on the wire saying it was only to be installed with a 15 amp breaker.

He after looking at the small room addition job passed it and said just don,t do it again.

Am i wrong to think this is stupid. Is it anywhere in the elec code about this? Or am i the stupid one?

I thought about sending this into the NEC today to write in a passage in the NEC next addition saying this is permissible.

bphgravity

This issue has been disputed at great length on this forum.

The bottom line is that you are correct and the inspector is wrong.

This is a design consideration and exceeds the requirements of the NEC and is not prohibited by the NEC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Bryan, but I sure am pleased when the E/C does mark such circuits.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Jr., welcome to the forum! :smile:

An alternate for the future would be to splice a length of #14 onto the #12 a few inches inside the panel.

Rewire

I have a question if i can ask it. I had a Electric job inspected today in Louisville, Ky. As i am a small time elec contractor and i do the work. I installed a 12/2 romex from the main breaker panel to the first box, a lighting circuit, I ran this wire 12/2 through about 60 feet of attic space. So i then at the first box downsized to a 14/2 romex. And i plan on installing a 15 amp breaker in the panel.

At first the electrical inspector said i could not do this as somebody might in future years install a 20 amp breaker. I told him i was writing a little tag to install on the wire saying it was only to be installed with a 15 amp breaker.

He after looking at the small room addition job passed it and said just don,t do it again.

Am i wrong to think this is stupid. Is it anywhere in the elec code about this? Or am i the stupid one?

I thought about sending this into the NEC today to write in a passage in the NEC next addition saying this is permissible.

Did you explain to the inspector why you ran the 12/2

sparkyjr55

? , inspector

? , inspector

Helo Yes i did explain to him since it was around 60 foot through the attic that i thought it would be good to go ahead and install the 12/2 since so much heat in the summer time. He just looked around for awhile and finally said ok but don,t do it again. at first he was going to make me pull out the 12/2 and install 14/2.

I just could not see the problem with it. And the first job i ever worked on way back in 1978-79 we did that. Yes that is a long time ago. and lots of things change.

this is the first time i have every dealt with this inspector, yes he was nice, and he said he has been inspecting for 15 years now.

thanks to all

Jim W in Tampa

Scary to see inspectors like him. He has to little training to be inspecting anything . Glad you stood up to him. How does he handle voltage drops ? What are the requirements in KY to be an inspector ?

sparkyjr55

tests?

tests?

Helo

I am not sure of the requirements? For some reason i think there is 2 tests somebody has to pass to be able to be an elec inspector in the city of Louisville.

I do know that there is going to be at least 2 openings within the next year. One is moving out of state with his wife and another is retiring.

The electrical inspector today looked around age 40-45. He said he was with such and such company years ago and i knew of the company and it was pretty good size years ago.

Glad i found this forum.
thanks to all

thinfool

What are the requirements in KY to be an inspector ?

Nope. It used to be a patronage type job. One of the first that I knew had been an HVAC contractor. Knew very little about the NEC or the electrical trade. Over the years tho, he applied himself, and we educated him...by the time he died (suddenly) he had become a reasonably competent inspector. The years of training were heck, tho.

New inspectors aren't perfect, but at least they now have to prove experience across all aspects of the trade as well as pass a 2 part (residential, general) code test and do 12 hrs ceu each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.