support for stage lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
do-it-r-selfers. he wants to install a 4" oct box with a swivel type fitting on a cover, much like a paddle fan assembly, at the cieling. Then, install a lenght or 2 of rmc into the back of another 4" box which brings us 12 ft from the cieling, 15 ft from the floor. he then wants to install standard locknuts within the 4 sq j-box. he also will drill a hole thru the rmc to install a pin completely thru the rmc. the weight of the fixtures is unknown, but believed to be commercial h.d. stage lights. there is no other support for the 2nd. j-box or rigid pipe, coming down toward the floor nor any way to support the row of 8 lights from lateral movement.
code articles 314.23 f
tell us all --art #'s i.e. drilling a hole thru pipe,etc

i see this often, some elec. don't understand. u have some other code art?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Random thoughts (as if I had any other kind :)grin:)):

1. I've seen square plates with pipe-threaded ball-type swivels in them. I think the orange and/or blue stores even stock them.

2. If the wiring needs to exit the pipe before the light, you could always use a T conduit body and have the wire exit the side hole.

3. A row of lights? Why not hang a length of strut? You could possibly use all-thread and MC cable like with hanging fixtures.

4. What's the through-pin for? On ceiling fans, you need a counter-rotation stop. Do these lights have any moving parts?

480sparky

.....1. I've seen square plates with pipe-threaded ball-type swivels in them. I think the orange and/or blue stores even stock them.

ballswivelcover.jpg

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
why not hang a lighting truss?

If he's worried about cost, I've had customers pick up old antenna sections from the scrap yard and make a triangular lighting truss out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.