Panel feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrtdc

Am feeding two new panels out of an existing distribution panel. The feeders are to be in seperate conduits. These conduits will run on same rack for a way before going in different directions. Need to put an opening (270 degrees by spec.) at the place where they head in different directions. My question is can these two feeders share a common gutter or junction box, or do they need to be seperate?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sharing is fine (Unless one is emergency)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
omitting "emergency" in your original post sure could make a difference.:smile:
why its always risky answering inspection questions. 700.9(B) would lead me to think there would not be a problem, but that might depend on an individual's outlook as to "feeders" being considered "circuits". My OPINION would be no problem, but strongly suggest you ask your AHJ.

rrtdc

Sorry that I was not clear on the 270 degrees deal. Yes the specifications on this job say maximum of 270 degrees of bends before an opening instead of 360 degrees that the NEC requires. Thanks for the replys. That helps me out.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes the specifications on this job say maximum of 270 degrees of bends before an opening instead of 360 degrees that the NEC requires.
I recon that's aimed at lessened conductor damage during install.

That can be an obnoxious limitation.

iwire

Staff member
Ouch is right! Who got the blame for the snafu? And, how many Sundays?

Foreman

One 12 hour Sunday and one weekday for all involved to take a required safety class to work in the building. (A Pharmaceutical plant that works with Radioactive material)

We had to replace two 800 amp feeders to a pair of chillers. .......... and no, we did not get to keep what we pulled out. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.