Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I'd avoid it because of the insurance company

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky555

If you do residential service...

Would you respond to a call where the complaint is a lightning strike and the homeowner wants to be sure the wiring is OK? The homeowner is going to pay you and will get approval from the insurance company prior to the start of work.

active1

I would want the HO to pay right away. Let the HO be the one tring to collect the insurance money. IMO it could be questionable if the insurance company would pay for this type of work.

charlietuna

"THE owner calls" --- "the owners is going to pay" ?? No problem if i need the work, but i don't believe in meggaring a residence. I always try to trace the path the lightning traveled and concentrate my inspection on those circuits(electrical-phone-TV-data) but check every circuit and device in the house for proper operation! Inspect all the connections in the ground and service. Also every appliance and/or equipment that was connected during the strike. Then i list out every item that any abnormally was found.

fondini

If you do residential service...

Would you respond to a call where the complaint is a lightning strike and the homeowner wants to be sure the wiring is OK? The homeowner is going to pay you and will get approval from the insurance company prior to the start of work.

yes,can be very profitable work, get contract signed and supply lots of documentation with copies of appropriate codes,more is better,they glance at it and approve it.I always have the contract state the ho pays if insurance doesn't.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had another contractor sub to me megging a funeral home that got struck by lightning, came in through the flag pole out front. Fairly new funeral home, all romex, no inspections. Megged the affected circuits and wrote the report. The other contractor was their with me wanting to learn how it was done, but when he seen the dead body in one of the prep rooms that I had to test, he didn't want to learn anymore! The mortician came back later and covered the body so he would go into that room.

Phossilman

I do it whenever necessary, the only way to go when needing to assure insulation quality. We would meg motors and feeders aboard ships yearly as a requirement of ABS, American Bureau of Shipping.

Volta

Also none of the above, but have done so and and will do it when needed, seems to be the right thing to do. Might not be warranted to check 100% of the wiring in the building, but at least starting with the several obviously affected circuits, and finding them all ok can make everyone feel safer.:)

ohm

Also none of the above, but have done so and and will do it when needed, seems to be the right thing to do. Might not be warranted to check 100% of the wiring in the building, but at least starting with the several obviously affected circuits, and finding them all ok can make everyone feel safer.:)

Do it all the time, sometimes at the request of the AHJ inspection dept.

Provide Cd & hard copy certification and pix labeled "exhibit A" etc.

Found >999 M readings but NM fried to a crisp so have to put some CYA verbage into the text.

Good money easy work.

Status
Not open for further replies.