Alternatives to fluorescent in horse barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

We're doing a small horse barn (35'x45') and had planned with the owner on using 4' VT 2T5s as main lighting downstairs in the walkway and over the stalls. Her main concern was having enough light. Now the husband (also the one footing the bill) is asking for alternatives. He saw a pic of a riding arena with HID high bays poked through a metal ceiling and likes the look. Obviously our 12' ceiling won't allow for those high bays. Aside from VT incandescent, can anyone think of any other options? Thanks!

Mr. Bill

I put HID in a barn once and the owner was none too happy. I got a call saying the lights didn't work. I showed up and he's flipping the light switch on and off and the lights aren't turning on. I had to think for a second but then realized it shouldn't turn on instantly. HID fit the application with one exception. No instant on. You might be able to persuade the husband from his HID request by informing him he'll need to wait 5 minutes after turning on the switch before the lights are really on.

I'm not sure how nice of a horse barn this is or what their budget is but I'm thinking surface wrap flourescent for this one. If you're worried about flies in the lens then upgrade to a vapor tight wrap. That seems to be the type you selected. So I don't seem to be any help.

Dnkldorf

If the barn ia 35x45, is the bottom of the truss at 12'?

If so,can you mount them higher between the truss joists.

And they make High Bay fixtures that look like HID, but are actually (6) 32W compact Fluro, which would help with turning on.

It might be 27W. I forget.

Last edited:

ptrip

I put HID in a barn once and the owner was none too happy. I got a call saying the lights didn't work. I showed up and he's flipping the light switch on and off and the lights aren't turning on. I had to think for a second but then realized it shouldn't turn on instantly. HID fit the application with one exception. No instant on. You might be able to persuade the husband from his HID request by informing him he'll need to wait 5 minutes after turning on the switch before the lights are really on.

I'm not sure how nice of a horse barn this is or what their budget is but I'm thinking surface wrap flourescent for this one. If you're worried about flies in the lens then upgrade to a vapor tight wrap. That seems to be the type you selected. So I don't seem to be any help.

I couldn't agree more here.

Also ... HID color rendering is not great (terrible in some cases) ... this could provide some argument as well.

And ... I'm not specifying as much HID in my gyms/cafeterias/auditoriums in schools anymore ... high bay fluorescents are providing good quality, good color and good operation (instant on) for less energy.

If he really wants the HID look ... Sportlite has a range of products that has the shape and "feel" of HID with compact fluorescent lamps (http://www.sportlite.com/seriesLX.htm). These have the benefit of multiple switching options, if that becomes a benefit.

Power Tech

We're doing a small horse barn (35'x45') and had planned with the owner on using 4' VT 2T5s as main lighting downstairs in the walkway and over the stalls. Her main concern was having enough light. Now the husband (also the one footing the bill) is asking for alternatives. He saw a pic of a riding arena with HID high bays poked through a metal ceiling and likes the look. Obviously our 12' ceiling won't allow for those high bays. Aside from VT incandescent, can anyone think of any other options? Thanks!

Go to http://www.farmtek.com[/URL] and check out:

Great quality 400W low bay MH with vapor tight defuser for 12 ft ceilings

Also they have the T-5 flu. high bay with safety wire grill.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Go to http://www.farmtek.com[/URL] and check out:

Great quality 400W low bay MH with vapor tight defuser for 12 ft ceilings

Also they have the T-5 flu. high bay with safety wire grill.

I was about to suggest the same thing (low bays), the T-5's are better because no cool down needed like the Hid's, also I think Hid's are being phased out, everybody is going to the T-8 and T-5 flouresents.

vinster888

personally im not a fan of the light output from the hid low bays. i would go with the t5 high bay that Power Tech suggests. i have installed many of them and the customer is always pleased with the functionality. such as multiple ballasts, provides multiple switching. you can turn on two bulbs, four bulbs, or all bulbs. ;)

PCN

I would ask what he liked about the HID fixture. Was it the light output or just the look of the fixture.
Some people don't like to see that 4' lamp when there is row of 10 or 20. We call it the Kmart look.
I agree that a fluorescent lowbay style fixture with mutiple CFL's and a diffuser would do a nice job and look better. HID can be a nightmare when somebody flips the wrong switch and the place goes dark.

Doug S.

Low bays HID's may work in this case, but as already mentioned present their own problems.

Another issue for the owner may be insurance? Even with a lens. Personally I'd never put an HID over hay/straw. Also the barn is new now, but in 10 years I'll bet the wood will be so dry it will start with a match.

For you nay-sayers it happens, been there, seen it, wish I had pictures.

PetrosA

Thanks for your input everyone. It took me a while to get back to this since again... the forum is playing with my read/unread threads. The bottom of the joist are 12', but getting 3/4" T+G covering. High bays wouldn't work too well with 2x10s anyway ;). I'm looking at surface mount/tamper proof MH and some 300W halogen stuff just so I can prove I did my homework, but I think they're going to want the VT T5s when they see the Hubbell prices ;)

Mr. Bill

Great quality 400W low bay MH with vapor tight defuser for 12 ft ceilings.
Ouch. I think 400W MH in a 12 ft ceiling is too much light. Might get a sun tan. Definately lots of glare. I'd shy away from anything more than 150 or 175W at that height. And it would still need a good diffuser.

dbuckley

I've seen some fittings back when I lived in the UK that had both a discharge lamp and a couple of linear halogens in them and some electronics. So when the discharge was cold and dim, or hot and not in the mood to restrike, the halogens came on. Once the discharge was up to speed it doused the halogens.

charlietuna

Anything hanging down in a horse barn is trouble -- flourescent runs cooler,is more efficient,draws less bugs and gives a uniform light pattern! Steer your customer in the right direction.

PetrosA

Argh. This whole job has been trying through no fault of the owner, but it looks like we've found a solution. 200W vapor tights over the stalls, and 3-32 T8 1x4s recessed in the T+G over the walkway. Luckily the builders are Amish (any questions, talk to the guy in the black pants... :) ) and are VERY patient and easy to work with. They'll cut the T+G for us since it's up already, and we'll get our lines from what access we still have.

Thanks for all the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.