Class 2 Div 1 sensor wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpax_ok

I'm developing a line of 2-wire, 4-20mA loop-powered analog temperature sensors for Class 2 Div 1 locations (primarily G).
It's a dust ignitionproof adaptation of I.S. approved sensors with an added housing (with conduit port) located at the probe end. It has a long fixed cable (exiting the conduit port) that is to be run in dust ignitionproof conduit to the safe area.
The goal is to get a Class 2 Div 1 approval without the IS barrier.
Here's the deal:
There is a small tubular housing (0.4 in dia x 2 in long) located in-line on the cable about 1 ft from the temperature probe / housing, so in an installation it resides in the conduit. The in-line housing contains the low voltage circuit for the 4-20mA analog and is potted (filled) with epoxy plastic.
My question is this:
Is having this in-line, on-the-cable housing located in the conduit a problem for class 2 Div 1 approval?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm developing a line of 2-wire, 4-20mA loop-powered analog temperature sensors for Class 2 Div 1 locations (primarily G).
It's a dust ignitionproof adaptation of I.S. approved sensors with an added housing (with conduit port) located at the probe end. It has a long fixed cable (exiting the conduit port) that is to be run in dust ignitionproof conduit to the safe area.
The goal is to get a Class 2 Div 1 approval without the IS barrier.
Here's the deal:
There is a small tubular housing (0.4 in dia x 2 in long) located in-line on the cable about 1 ft from the temperature probe / housing, so in an installation it resides in the conduit. The in-line housing contains the low voltage circuit for the 4-20mA analog and is potted (filled) with epoxy plastic.
My question is this:
Is having this in-line, on-the-cable housing located in the conduit a problem for class 2 Div 1 approval?

I think you will need to ask UL or FM. I am not sure why it would need an IS barrier in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.