In search of 3G box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiddMartin

Having trouble finding a 3G box, I only have 2" from block to finished drywall.

Situation: Block wall w/ laft, framing it out to 1" 1/2, then 1/2" drywall over the laft. Blowing out the block is not an option, GC does not want me to do that. - For space, I will have 3 switches, total of 10 CCC , 1 GND #14 (Using MC w/ external MC connectors)

If you know of a box I can get or have any other ideas, I would like to know

I have to leave, but will chk back in tonight, Thanks for the help!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is a picture. T & B makes them as well as Raco

3196573h.jpg

PetrosA

I'm going to agree that the "wide 1900" is probably the best solution in a fir stripped wall if they don't want you to go into the block and the new fir stripping is 1 1/2" thick. Normally the downside is that you have to remove the drywall from that section of wall, but it sounds like you have bare block to begin with, so no biggie in this case. It also won't work with anything less than 2-by fir strips.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
2" deep gangable box won't work?

Tom

Sure they will work if your supplier carries them. I believe my supplier only has 2 1/4" deep while they do stock the long 1900 boxes and rings. I would also bet there is more room in the long 1900 box

SiddMartin

Here is a picture. T & B makes them as well as Raco

3196573h.jpg

I have the Stl-cty version of this, box is 1" 5/8", smallest 3G mudring is like 13/16" or something (this is what I'm told by the ordering guy). I can't beleive they dont make a box and ring to match up to 2"

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Blowing out the block is one thing. . . but putting a diamond blade in a 4.5" right angle grinder would allow the cutting of a "dado" in the block that wouldn't cut through to the core. By my calc, you'd only remove a strong 3/8" which would even allow screwing the box to the block.

Think you can sell the GC on that?

SiddMartin

Blowing out the block is one thing. . . but putting a diamond blade in a 4.5" right angle grinder would allow the cutting of a "dado" in the block that wouldn't cut through to the core. By my calc, you'd only remove a strong 3/8" which would even allow screwing the box to the block.

Think you can sell the GC on that?

I beleive that will work, hopefully the shop will come through for me and have the tools :roll:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I like the low voltage relay idea.

I hate that idea..:D

I have always taken some standard gangable switch boxes and just busted out the block. I really don't see the issue doing that. Heck just use a plastic nail on 3 gang and cut it in.

SiddMartin

solved the problem, talked the GC into putting in a 2G and then a SinG on the opposite side of opening. This way i can use shallow 4SQ w/ 1/2" mud ring.

Thanks for all of the ideas, I told GC he had to build out wall or change the switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.