dimming neutrals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gshep2005

I am currently working on an old strand dimming system CD-80 and have discovered that when originally wired that a number of neutrals were pulled to the dimmer rack that were too many for the correct amount of circuits. another way to explain it is that there are multiple lights with a separate neutral, but only one circuit dimmer supplying with one hot phase. Is this an issue or is it fine to leave it this way. I know that the dimmed load uses the neutral as the return path, Is the fact that the neutral conductor has lots more length of wire to return on is a problem or not.????

dbuckley

CD80s - yes.

So what you are saying is that from one dimmer channel the channel hot wire feeds two or more sockets, and each socket has its own individual neutral back to the dimmer. So as an example for two sockets on one dimmer channel, at the dimmer you see one hot wire and two neutral wires.

Its a bit of an unusual arrangement, I grant you, and I've never actually seen one like that, but, electrically there is absolutely nothing wrong, with the important proviso that all conductors of a circuit must be in the same pipe or raceway so the magnetic fields all cancel, otherwise you'll get inductive heating effects.

I dont know if there is a code prohibition on this arrangement though!

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree, it sounds strange. I don't see any problems it would cause, or any code paragraphs it would violate, as long as each neutral is routed with its corresponding hot like dbuckley said.

Is it possible the person doing the original wiring misunderstood the instructions where they said:

"don't share the neutral on the load side of dimmers"

That means 2 channels should not share a neutral, not 2 sockets should not share a neutral.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.