Cutting holes in panel covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

These pics might help explain. The quality of my camera phone isn't that great but you get the idea. It's recessed in a block wall mounted inside a locked cabinet. They don't want non-authorized people to access the receptacle.

PetrosA

These pics might help explain. The quality of my camera phone isn't that great but you get the idea. It's recessed in a block wall mounted inside a locked cabinet. They don't want non-authorized people to access the receptacle.

Nicest fix would be to upgrade the cabinet with a larger one that has space for a recept. and probably wouldn't take much longer than doing a Rube Goldberg to get a GFI in the cover (unless there are other lines coming in that we can't see here). Second option would be to cut in a second cabinet above or below that fits a recept.

attachment.php

That original panel shell looks like an old knob and tube box. I have seen a few of those in real old commercial buildings. Had individually mounted sockets for screw in fuses and lined with sheet asbestos no less and mounted in the bathroom right next to the toilet all original still in service.

I have also seen old wooden panels in curches, same principal but a wooden cabinet.

We have come a long way, thank God.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
While I agree installing a receptacle in the panel cover was a bad move...
I dont think the panel cover is listed to hold a device.

What about those little LED devices that let you know when there is power at a panelboard? I forget who makes them, but I've seen them in EC&M. Are we violating the listing of the panel if we install a pilot light or indicating device?

Status
Not open for further replies.