I-Beam as raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnewport

I think I know the answer to this question, but I am looking for clarification. What code sections would apply to using an I-beam as a raceway, with a cover attached to the beam flanges? (Thus using the I-beam as a raceway) My best guess is that this is not a listed raceway. We need to refeed a few panels from overhead, and there is no room above and in front of the panels for cable tray (due to required separation distance from the telecom cable tray),and we need to allow for future panel refeeds. The only option we could find was to install a cable tray or square duct inside of the beam. This cable tray would need to be cut into short sections to install it between the existing conduits exiting the tops of the panels. The I-beam runs in a horizontal direction about 1' above panelboards and behind the panels. (The panels are bottom fed, mounted on a cored block wall with an I-beam sitting on top of the blocks. Please excuse my cheesy ASCII drawing! :smile: What would be the code issues with manufacturing our own custom raceway (cable tray) from sheet metal?

Thanks-
Bryan

~~Elevation drawing~~
----------------------------------------------------
][ .....UUUU <---- Fiber optic / network cable trays
][ <------------- I-Beam
||] <------------ Panelboards mounted on block wall
||]
||]
||
||

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
That would also violate 110.8.

110.8 Wiring Methods. Only wiring methods recognized as suitable are included in this Code.

Note that it does not say that the methods included in the code are the only suitable ones, just that the included ones are suitable. An interesting way to phrase something.

Can you use tray cable? Or maybe NM depending on where it is?

How about the blue corrugated stuff? You could put the wires in the tubing and than make a sheet metal cover to hide it.

Last edited:

benaround

Bob,

The OP also stated, " The only option we could find was to install a cable tray or a

SQUARE DUCT inside the beam ".

In retrospect NM would probally be a better method. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.