your opinion please

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.bisnath

this is a bit of a complex situation I will try to be clear and brief
a huge portal type granular loading equipment for transferring granular material from pile to conveyer belt run on train type rails back and forth
power coes from a main junction box, via 2 power cables joined together in the box which then goes to 2 cable reels from where it goes to 2 motorised slip ring assemblies passes thruogh the moving contacts to the fixed contacts then joined together again at a main isolator and then enters to the control cabin in the operators station on the mobile equipment, 2 power cables are used,if one is damaged it can be disconnected and the loader ran on one cable

now heres the thing,as the two cables are joined in the main isolator on the loader current will feed back to the slip rings that has the disconnected power cable on the fixed contacts!
if someone e.g. a shift worker not totally familiar with the system ,or someone forgets the arrangement,if any work is to be done on the disconnected slip ring assembly ,gearbox or reel,and they need to get in the slip ring box,assuming the power cable is disconnected and safe,he might get shocked or worse

I recently attended electrical safety training from N.T.T inc. and I suggested to my superior that we should put warning signs to the effect, or install separate isolators on the loader for each cable, he thought the idea unneccessary was not interested

Don't electrical injuries happen in the unguarded moment? should we not be more carefl than less careful?

Are there any electrical codes or rule that can apply?

nakulak

not sure if this equipment is covered by the NEC (see article 90) - if this mobile surface mining machinery or is considered an automotive vehicle. a diagram would be nice though.

pfalcon

Posting signs is like announcing the end of the world. Best case is you're wrong and just look stupid. Worst case you're right and there's nothing that can be done but worry.

See Article 120 of the NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace. These rules apply to most industries. They cover Lockout/Tagout, Training, Posting, and other safety issues.

The feds believe 70E is necessary and they don't really care if your superior is interested. They will happily levy fines and/or jail time for you, your superior, and your company.

Thank you for pursuing safety.

TxEngr

My 2 cents worth...

NFPA 70E 130.7(E)(1) states that safety signts, symbols, etc. shall be used where necessary to warn employees about electrical hazards that might endanger them. It is the responsibility of the employer to provide this information. If a hazard has been pointed out to management and nothing was done, they have no standing in the event of an accident and it will cost them dearly financially.

I work in an industrial facility where we mark all dual fed pieces of equipment warning that an alternate source of power may be available. It's just common sense to do so. Shift workers in particular are vulnerable to these issues. Push the issue as far as you can without getting on the bosses bad side. But basically they should label it. Can you apply a 'label' with a permanent magic marker in the absence of management action?

Again, just my 2 cents worth...

TxEngr

TxEngr

for my 2 cents worth....

NFPA 70E 130.7(E)(1) states that safety signs...shall be used where necessary to warn employees about electrical hazards that might endanger them. That's a pretty clear statement to me. Working in an industrial setting, I have always labeled equipment that was dual fed or posed a risk from foreign power sources. It seems to me to be common sense to do it. Since your manager won't act, can you take a black permanent marker and write on the box? Something is better than nothing. But the box should be labeled as called for in 70E.

as I said, just my 2 cents worth.

TxEngr

a.bisnath

In gratitude

In gratitude

the two cents given by TxEng is most valuable thanks for leading me to the 70E clause,I thank all replies the equipment is in the carribbean, we usually follow the NEC codes,will sensitize my superiors to the 70E article and will use a black marker none the less, one more thing a worker was shocked in the slip ring years ago,it is lucky he did not get any real damage

charlietuna

There is special codes for portable machinery like 480 volt three phase movable cranes which move around on large extention cables and i think this would fall under that authority.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would think a sign at each disco specifying every other disco's location would be standard for this type of situation.

Plus, test for power every time. Never presume one action de-energizes anything. And, check every line, not just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.