switch location

Status
Not open for further replies.

mothball

An owner has an attic ventillato andf would like me to locate the disconnect switch in the attic space up at the top cord of a truss near the ventillator. This will be approx. 12' above the bottom of the truss. Which is not a problem per exception #2 of 404.8 (A). (As long as the owner can get a step ladder up into the attic to reach that high). Question/concern is, the owner doesn't plan to service the unit from the attic side. instead he will climb up to the roof and reach through the roof to disconnect the unit. Is there a code reference stating he (or I) can install like this knowing how it will be operated?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would start with this Article 100 definition:

In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be ?in sight from,? ?within sight from,? or ?within sight of,? and so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

Welcome to the forum. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
But it is in sight from, the rules do not specify it has to be insight from all sides.

Don't get me wrong, I see the concern I just don;'t see the NEC addressing it.

Is there any change the motor came with a plug connection like a simple bath fan comes with?

cadpoint

An owner has an attic ventillato andf would like me to locate the disconnect switch in the attic space up at the top cord of a truss near the ventillator. This will be approx. 12' above the bottom of the truss. Which is not a problem per exception #2 of 404.8 (A). (As long as the owner can get a step ladder up into the attic to reach that high). Question/concern is, the owner doesn't plan to service the unit from the attic side. instead he will climb up to the roof and reach through the roof to disconnect the unit. Is there a code reference stating he (or I) can install like this knowing how it will be operated?

I'd go with as stated 404.8(A) Exception No. 2 and Exception No. 3

I don't agree it's correct to Reach through the Roof, this implies a roof hatch of some sorts, once the roof hatch is down there's no direct sight to the disconnect? A line of sight must be maintained!

It just depends is this an industrial ventilators and a roof mounted unit then the disconnect has to be on the roof. It will be serviced from the roof, a means of disconnect has to be on the roof!

If the ventilator is on the vertical wall of the structure than the disconnect is allowed that high per the stated exception.
If a residential vent then the motor serviceability is per the design of the fan but mostly serviced from the ceiling below and not form the roof above. I could be totally wrong here!

I can't get it through my pea brain how they will be reaching in from the roof?

Welcome to the Forum.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can't get it through my pea brain how they will be reaching in from the roof?

Welcome to the Forum.

I think they will have to slide the roof ventilator out and then reach in to the thermostat etc. I would hate to do that if the thermostat was properly secured to the truss or rafters.

mothball

They will flip the breaker in the panelboard an then go up on the roof and disasswmble the cap of the ventilator to get at the motor.

thinking about this, would locking provisions on the breaker be suffcient?

Jim W in Tampa

Just how much service do one of these ever get ? Stops running you replase it. To adjust it you would be doing this from attic side. To meet code it needs a switch and you have one under it in attic. For extra safety add a breaker lockout.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like one would have to reach between the fan blades to reach the disconnect switch, creating the kind of hazard the disconnect is there to alleviate. Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.