Inspector's Rant, Unhappy Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

I may get longwinded so have patience.

1) Get assigned an electrical inspection for a residential above ground pool. Permanent electric required due to depth of pool & gas heater.

2) Arrive to find a 1x6 pressure treated post with a switch and a GFCI receptacle.

3) I write up the installation for being less than 5' from the pool (was less than 3').

4) Not one bonding wire to the pool frame/post, nothing.

5) I write up the lack of bonding. No electrician around so I leave the paperwork with the homeowner.

6) Get called back for re-inspection the next week and find that the switch was not moved (still <3') and the receptacle was replaced with a GFCI device.

7) I write up the switch for being <5" from the pool. Electrician PO'd and calls me some names.

8) Bonding with #8 solid copper only goes to one vertial support post and nothing else. I ask to see manufacturer's install instructions or prove that there is continuity between all metal parts of the pool frame to the bond. Again electrician even more PO's and calls me more names.

9) Continuity verified so I approve the bonding.

10) I hand the electrician the paperwork and show him the code section specified for the switch being too close to the pool. He says he does not need to see it and he knows what he is doing. I said to him "Apparently not".

11) I get called back for inspection #3, no electrician to be found. He threw and old flatplate cover on the GFCI device and stripped out the bottom screw on the cover which left if hanging loosely.

12) I write it up for not being weatherproof and for it being incorrectly installed.

13) Homeowner shows me 3 outside receptacles that he also installed that I was not aware of since this work was not applied for on the permit. All three lack the "bubble covers".

14) I write that up too and hand the homeowner the paperwork letting them know the installation had once again failed.

15) Electrician calls me every name in the book and cannot believe that I kept failing his installation. He thought that I should have passed it and just gave him a phone call to let him know what to correct.

What part of his choice of a profession does he not understand? I suppose that I am to never document anything and remember everything that I inspected, right?

I kept my cool but should have reminded him of a few things:

* He needs to do the job the right way the first time.
* He needs to find another profession.

I suppose I am out of line on this one.

quogueelectric

I may get longwinded so have patience.

1) Get assigned an electrical inspection for a residential above ground pool. Permanent electric required due to depth of pool & gas heater.

2) Arrive to find a 1x6 pressure treated post with a switch and a GFCI receptacle.

3) I write up the installation for being less than 5' from the pool (was less than 3').

4) Not one bonding wire to the pool frame/post, nothing.

5) I write up the lack of bonding. No electrician around so I leave the paperwork with the homeowner.

6) Get called back for re-inspection the next week and find that the switch was not moved (still <3') and the receptacle was replaced with a GFCI device.

7) I write up the switch for being <5" from the pool. Electrician PO'd and calls me some names.

8) Bonding with #8 solid copper only goes to one vertial support post and nothing else. I ask to see manufacturer's install instructions or prove that there is continuity between all metal parts of the pool frame to the bond. Again electrician even more PO's and calls me more names.

9) Continuity verified so I approve the bonding.

10) I hand the electrician the paperwork and show him the code section specified for the switch being too close to the pool. He says he does not need to see it and he knows what he is doing. I said to him "Apparently not".

11) I get called back for inspection #3, no electrician to be found. He threw and old flatplate cover on the GFCI device and stripped out the bottom screw on the cover which left if hanging loosely.

12) I write it up for not being weatherproof and for it being incorrectly installed.

13) Homeowner shows me 3 outside receptacles that he also installed that I was not aware of since this work was not applied for on the permit. All three lack the "bubble covers".

14) I write that up too and hand the homeowner the paperwork letting them know the installation had once again failed.

15) Electrician calls me every name in the book and cannot believe that I kept failing his installation. He thought that I should have passed it and just gave him a phone call to let him know what to correct.

What part of his choice of a profession does he not understand? I suppose that I am to never document anything and remember everything that I inspected, right?

I kept my cool but should have reminded him of a few things:

I suppose I am out of line on this one.
You are doing your job correctly it is time for someone who calls themself an electrician to do the same. Thank the good lord that there are people who care about others safety out there. Dont change to accomodate local hacks.If your boss doesnt have the metal to stand up against these idiots let him sign off on it and save a mass card for the first electrocution from the bad install.

TOOL_5150

If i was an inspector - I would have done the same thing. You keeping your cool showes the professionalism, just as his work showes the lack of it.

~Matt

Mr. Bill

You did just fine. And the more people get upset with me the more closely I look at the work. It's all by the book. No passing of the work with a verbal warning to fix items XYZ. There's no trust of his workmanship.

norcal

"I kept my cool but should have reminded him of a few things:

I suppose I am out of line on this one."

Not out of line at all. Isn't insanity defined as doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different outcome?

KevinVost

You are doing your job correctly it is time for someone who calls themself an electrician to do the same. Thank the good lord that there are people who care about others safety out there. Dont change to accomodate local hacks.If your boss doesnt have the metal to stand up against these idiots let him sign off on it and save a mass card for the first electrocution from the bad install.

I agree. Just remember to keep your cool and dont sink to his level with suggestions. Let him fail the install as many times as it takes for him to get it right. If he can't pass it (I believe from the post that he is the licensee???), your AHJ should have policy in place to refer him to the contractors board. (If he isn't the licensee, the licence holder needs to come out to the job and supervise the install, or do it themselves, since they are responsible.)

Karl H

You absolutely did the right thing! If I failed an install over and over again,
and when I opened the good book to show him the errors of his ways,and
he were to tell me he didn't need to look at it,"He knows what he's doing."
I would simply hand him the correction notice, politely say,"I disagree,"
turn around and walk away, laughing hysterically.:smile:

It seems in cases like this, cities should start charging "Re-Inspection"
fees.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've had a few like that and you just wonder what they are getting away with in other jurisdictions or maybe they're just not in it for the money.:smile:

It wasn't long after one of these jobs, where the guy kept going on and on about what a good electrician he was, that I read an article and it said that incompetent people usually don't know that they are incompetent and actually think higher of them selfs than competent people do of them selfs.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would just like to say that on the other hand, there is nothing that makes my day more than walking on a clean job where you could almost stand in one place and inspect it, because it is so neat. The contractor is there and he really knows what he's talking about. Sure makes both of our lives easier.

480sparky

Remember the old adage: "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

zappy

You absolutely did the right thing! If I failed an install over and over again,
and when I opened the good book to show him the errors of his ways,and
he were to tell me he didn't need to look at it,"He knows what he's doing."
I would simply hand him the correction notice, politely say,"I disagree,"
turn around and walk away, laughing hysterically.:smile:

It seems in cases like this, cities should start charging "Re-Inspection"
fees.

That's what I was wondering, don't you charge each time you come out to inspect the job?

satcom

That's what I was wondering, don't you charge each time you come out to inspect the job?

I would go one more step and contact the state board to have this guy re tested, before he cooks a family in one of his pool jobs.

220/221

Bonding with #8 solid copper only goes to one vertial support post and nothing else. I ask to see manufacturer's install instructions or prove that there is continuity between all metal parts of the pool frame to the bond

Did he come up with the paperwork or just prove it was continuous?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would go one more step and contact the state board to have this guy re tested, before he cooks a family in one of his pool jobs.

Ivsenroute is from PA which has no state licensing, kinda scary isn't it.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.