Meter Socket Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett711

i have a ?? regaurding this. i installed an outdoor panel today with a meter can to the right of it. guy on my job is telling me that i have to have 16inch of wall space between the enclosure and the garage door. as well is telling me that i have to use unistrut, panels cant be directly surface mounted to the concrete wall.

i cant locate anything in the nec stating these codes.

i did like this and hes telling me that i cant do this.

raider1

Staff member
i have a ?? regaurding this. i installed an outdoor panel today with a meter can to the right of it. guy on my job is telling me that i have to have 16inch of wall space between the enclosure and the garage door. as well is telling me that i have to use unistrut, panels cant be directly surface mounted to the concrete wall.

There is nothing in the NEC that would prohibit your installation. There might be a local utility requirement or local code that might have something though.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

Any time you get advice like this ask what code number. Most have none because often is none. Other than local or poco your fine. Will say i would prefer it away from door because it could get hit but nec does not say anything.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeah , unless it's an electricians van that is flat in the back. With a skinny bumper.

I had a van back into a service I built the day poco connected.

200A 120/240 Delta; 15' Rigid mast was blown around 40' away from the building if I remember correctly. Meter base flew over the van.

Something on the back of the van hit directly on the hub, pinching it, and caused a line-to-line fault between all 3 ungrounded conductors.

For such a small service, the devastation was amazing.

Even at the height pictured, I would put a couple of bollards in front of it.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

Sounds to me like he may be thinking of 312.2. I believe enclosures identified for outdoor use have the air gap built into it by way of "feet" type indentations at the point of attachment.

312.2 Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations,
surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article
shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture
or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet
or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least
6-mm (1⁄4-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall
or other supporting surface
. Enclosures installed in wet locations
shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet locations,
raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated
live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.
Exception: Nonmetallic enclosures shall be permitted to be
installed without the airspace on a concrete, masonry, tile,
or similar surface.

iwire

Staff member
Agreed, 110.26 would definitely apply.

Chris

Not so sure.

A meter socket is generally under the exclusive control of the utility. 90.2(B)(5)(a)

I know most inspectors want the NEC to apply to everything electric but it does not. :smile:

Last edited:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Not so sure.

A meter socket is generally under the exclusive control of the utility. 90.2(B)(5)(a)

I know most inspectors want the NEC to apply to everything electric but it does not. :smile:

Good point. I would assume pretty much everywhere the meter is by law under the exclusive control of utility

90.2(B)(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric
utility where such installations
a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated
metering

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.