quest for the perfect tool bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

I've got one similar to that, except it's made by CLC, and it has a zippered center compartment. Model 1539 I think.

That is a nice toolbag. I'm still deciding if closed top bags are the best - no matter what tool I need, it always seems to be on the other side.

If I'm to believe my bathroom scale, the bag and tools weigh 24lbs, mostly loaded.

MAK

The Veto bags are kind of nice because you can't overload them or make them awkward to carry. The shoulder straps are wide so it does not dig into you. They are very strong however I don't like the zipper tabs because if they were to get caught on something they will brake off fairly easily. Worth the money if you like having a warranty on the bag.

surf more

i think i seen everything but hammer in your new bag..you almost have a tool collection like me,but i keep mine at home because sticky fingers around jobs!!! looks nice,but i would not carry that in every job!!!

glad your happy with it--alot of money in that bag.

quogueelectric

so i guess no one likes my new bag:grin: i had a tote and decided i wanted something to hold the bags in my truck too.keeps everything organized
It is usually the guys who avoid actual WORK avoid actually carrying tools and are the first ones to say hey buddy can I borrow your ------.
Try to put you on the spot as to why you carry all those tools. I always say Im not your buddy and if you think I carry these tools around for you to use you need drug testing.
There is one more difference between a buddy and a pal that I cant post on this forum so I will leave it at that.
I love your VETO bag and I also own one.
Call the one tool wonders out on the carpet for production any day of the week and you will hear every excuse in the book.

SiddMartin

you know how many times I've seen a nice toolbag and bought it... took it home all excited to organize my tools, to find out that i dont like how its set up... back to the store to return the damn thing.

many , many times

I have had my Veto for about a year now and love it. The pockets have not saged or anything like that, zippers have held up so far. I am a maintance electrician so it will probably not see the abuse as a construction electrician.

electricalperson

this bag replaces about 3 zippered pouches and a messy bag. all these tools inside the veto saves space in my van and saves me time trying to find the tool i need without dumping them on the ground or searching the van for the correct pouch.

this bag is fantastic.

i do all kinds of electrical work and my day is always different. i do a little more than running wire and pounding staples. i use many of the tools in my bag daily. i have a section of tools that i use most frequently. i got the knopp, philips, slotted and linesmans all next to eachother in the bag now. working out of this bag is awesome. anybody that DOESNT have a bag needs to get one asap. no matter who it is they wont be dissapointed :)

izak

not that i dont like the bag, becuase i do.

but i learned awhile back that an electrician NEVER needs every tool all the time, and it is still efficient to plan for the times when he does need the odd stuff and get it off the truck.

for example, I stopped using needle nose pliers when i was a second year apprentice.
i have absolutely no use for them now, so thats less weight and stuff to keep up with.

220/221

I stopped using needle nose pliers when i was a second year apprentice.
i have absolutely no use for them now,

You must not do service work. Needle nose are an essential tool for me. Not as essential as dikes, but still....

electricalperson

not that i dont like the bag, becuase i do.

but i learned awhile back that an electrician NEVER needs every tool all the time, and it is still efficient to plan for the times when he does need the odd stuff and get it off the truck.

for example, I stopped using needle nose pliers when i was a second year apprentice.
i have absolutely no use for them now, so thats less weight and stuff to keep up with.

i use mine all the time i use it to pinch the ground wire around the screw in a old work box

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It does depend on what you're doing on what you carry. When I was roping houses I could carry what I needed in my pocket, when I was doing maintenance work, I had a 20 lb bag because it was a two block walk back to the shop.

When I was installing smoke alarms in apartments (retrofit) I had to install a tiger grip box and the alarm and all I carried was a pair of linemans, strippers, razor knife and a screwdriver, and after I put a hole in my linemans I didn't really need the strippers anymore.:grin:

jeremysterling

Your kidding, right!

Same here, as well as helping when fishing wiring in walls, holding staples and nails, and about 100 other uses.

After I discovered Klein long-nose pliers, I put a pair in the tackle box, glove box, tool box and kitchen drawer!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey were did you get that folding measure tape. Have not seen one of those in a long time!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.